dumb question

nonono... I meant the whole carbon insert. My fish meds say to take that inset out for treating the fish, It is a brand new insert, should I just toss it and buy a new one?

well i don't know if this is good or bad but i just set it on top of the filter (on the lid) and place a clean cloth (dry) over it to protect it from dust :dunno:

My filter is an intank, so for right now I have it sitting in some aquarium water in the bucket I use for water for the tank. The bucket is covered as well so no dust gets in it.

I'm not sure but cant you reactivate the carbon by putting it in an oven for so long??????????

:S I'm sure i've been told somewheres you can do this not sure though. Someone a bit brighter than me maybe able to point you in the right direction.

the carbon element is only there to remove heavy metals and meds from the water, it isnt necessary for bacteria growth so you will be ok to let it dry out, and reinsert it when your fish are all feeling better to remove the leftover medications from the water.

i have no idea if this is true or not ... but my husband insists on putting the carbon filter in a ziplock bag and keeping it in the fridge until we can use it again. Anyone out there know if there's any scientific basis to that one? or is it just my hubby being weird again? :rofl:

Val

boozybears said:
i have no idea if this is true or not ... but my husband insists on putting the carbon filter in a ziplock bag and keeping it in the fridge until we can use it again. Anyone out there know if there's any scientific basis to that one? or is it just my hubby being weird again? :rofl:

Val
This may be an attempt to keep any bacteria that may be on the carbon filter alive (a la BioSpira ... basically refrigerated bacteria). However, I think this step is unneeded as the bacteria that are alive on the carbon filter will just be replaced in the tank anyhow. I wouldn't bother, but to each his/her own.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back