Duckweed

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So I am in need of some floating plants, and I am also not great on spending money right now. I know duckweed spreads fast and can become a problem but I found a seller on Amazon that has 200 duckweed plants for $ 1.99 and free shipping. Would it be worth it?

I wish you lived near me, you could come fish it out from my tanks.

TBH $1.99 with shipping isn't bad, if you want duckweed. I'd recommend water lettuce or frogbit, or some of the bigger floating plants.
I regard duckweed as a nuisance and a real pain to get rid of.

The way they say it spreads you would have plenty in a short time, I was just on Ebay tonight too looking at frogbit

So say I did get it, when I have saved up enough to get some nice floating plants how would I get rid of it? Definitely not toss it in a ditch or pond!

So say I did get it, when I have saved up enough to get some nice floating plants how would I get rid of it? Definitely not toss it in a ditch or pond!
Looks like the same stuff in our ponds here in the USA. Check out the frogbit on Ebay, it was not expensive and easier to deal with.

Looks like the same stuff in our ponds here in the USA. Check out the frogbit on Ebay, it was not expensive and easier to deal with.
It is the same stuff in the ponds here... its invasive :). I'll check out your idea

Attachments

• 20200312_165406.jpg
    20200312_165406.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 73
If you put the Ebay page to look for cheapest first you will see one for 4.99 with free shipping. I really like the look with the roots hanging down.

I don’t like my duckweed and wish I had never bought it. It’s a mess. Regular water lettuce is my favorite for floating plants with anacharis being second. My frogbit didn’t last long.

It just sticks to the sides and makes the tank hard to clean. It’s just tiny little leaves.
I am looking for a floating plant like frogbit with roots hanging down. Right now I am using hornwort which my glow light fry seem to like hiding in but I would like something a little better looking.

I have both( frogbit+duckweed) in my aquarium and the duckweed doesn't spread. I think it is because the frogbit take a lot of nutriments and there is not a lot left for the duckweed. So I think if you end up having both the duckweed would not be a problem. It doesn't spread in my tank but it might in your tank I am not sure.

Most reactions

Back