DSB/MM depth in sump

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
I'ved finally set up my marine tank but have a few question before i fill it and get the sump running properly.

I'ved put about half a jar of mineral mud in so far and have about a 2" even depth, over the 12"x8" area.

the divider on the sump is 8" tall.

shoudl i add anymore and what depth of sand should I use?

also should I place anything before the divider to stop the micro algaes going over?

also should the lighting be anything specific, i have a 2ft original tropical tube in there at the moment.

some people jus use an energy seving blulb to light there sumps :)

im sure that a mminimum of 4 inches of sand is reccomended :) .... not sure whaat that is when there is 2" of mineral mud aswell :unsure: :unsure:
personally i wouldn't add anything before the divider ... ive seen peeps with jus a plastic tub wjus a return pump placed on a rock :yes:

HTH a bit ...

...ryan

Not sure about that ;ast post but,

Useually you dont mix the mud with sand do you, you are supposed to change the mud out every year or so and it seems to me that that would be hard with Sand atop it, if you mean you want to put a DSB on the other side of the divider then I would recomend a good 100 MM depth, Good luck with it.

Also, as for a devider, ytou can run a bit of plastic screeniong along the top,if you are worried about plants going up and over, but generaly uinless you have really invasive/aggressive plants you dont have to worry to much about them jumping from one spot in the tank to another.

read back through some old posts and found the answers in there, just have a few CM of coral sand on top of the MM.

Paul, for the algae thing your main issue is to stop the algae going asexual. There's nothing physical you can put on the divider to prevent the spores from reaching the main tank. Either put a UV on the return from the sump or use the specific type of algae Nav has (I think it's chaeto) which apparently won't go sexual...

yeh i read about them going asexual this afternoon but couldn't find any of that algae.

For now i'ved bought a load of various algaes. how long until they go asexual? and can you physically see it?

I was going to use a UV but with the retun pump I'm using only the 25W will handle the flowrate so would have to do a closed loop system which I don't have the space for either really.

i was more worried about complete plants going over the edge.

DSB should be over 4" depth.
MM systems work well with a mixture of sand/MM. My system was 2" deep with .5" mix of MM/sand/MM/sand

Most reactions

Back