Driftwood

toubabokoomi

Reaction score
Whats everyones favorite way of curing drift i just ordered small pieces of it i scrubbed and rinsed it great and i boiled it for 2 hours changing the water in the boil every 30-35 minutes and now im soaking it seem good enough? and it sunk already! FISH PIECES.JPG the biggest piece is 12 inches the other two about 7-8 there pretty small

Sometimes you have to soak it for months before tannins stop seeping out.

I always considered boiling it to be a silly idea because wood expands when it gets boiled and will leek even more tannins.

Leave it in a bucket in the garden for a week in my opinion and see what happens.

right now they have been in a bucket 24 hours and the water is almost clear enough to drink

They may well have been presoaked before you purchased them then, chuck them in, see how you get on. Some natural tannins in the water are good for your fish anyway. It might not be your cuppa tea to look at, but your weekly water changes will rid the tank of it eventually. Trial and error mate :) Go for it.

i soak it for a couple of hours, drench it with boiling water to get the nasties off. Then in to the tank it goes. Some carbon and water changes for a few days and the tannins will fade. Thats if you don't want a tannin effect.

Thanks for the info!!! ill let them soak till about saturday just in case then ill drop them in see how it goes

You have some great looking wood there!

Agree with Tizer that continuing to boil will just release more tannins.
You just need to leave it soaking in cold water now until it is ready to go into the tank.

As an extra precaution, you can pour boiling water over it before it goes into the tank just to try and kill any bugs if for example it has been soaking outside or for a long time.

Dont forget to post pics of when it has been setup with fish!

Boiling water on top of it before it just goes into the tank will certain cause the wood to expand and seep again lol :)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/358080-72-gallon-community/ posted some pictures on the member forum check it out!

Most reactions

Back