Driftwood Anchor

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tdiii

Reaction score
I'm curing a few pieces of driftwood I found at a lake but they aren't sinking. To save money, I was wondering if instead of plexiglass or slate, I could use the front cover of a CD case and screw it to the driftwood for a base? If I cover it with a inch or so of gravel, will it hold my driftwood down? Also, will the plastic the cover is made of be okay for my fish? I'm planning on using stainless steel screws. Are they okay?

i think its a good idea :) rather then using a stainless steel screw why not use silicone thats water safe :p hehehe

or go with the screw :p

I don't quite know if silicone will work on a wet piece of wood (it has been soaking in a saltwater bath for a week). Also I think I want a 1-2 inch gap between the base and the wood. I did some rough calculations and think I will need 2-3 inches of gravel on top of my base. The gap will allow the base to be buried without 2 inches of wood being buried. I'm just bouncing some ideas around. Any returns would be appreciated.

Should work fine. I've used brass screws & slate with driftwood, never had a problem. I like the cd cover recycling idea, I use an old cdr for the top of my brine shrimp hatchery. You'd be surprised how much household junk can be used in an aquarium if you start to think about it.

Tolak

SRC said:
Get a plastic screw.
[snapback]865070[/snapback]​

That won't work unless you get one designed for wood; I've seen nylon nuts/bolts for sale; but those have machine threads and won't attatch to wood.

Definately work better than my driftwood tied to a brick by a fishing line idea.

No offense but you will never get a good hole through a CD case, they are VERY brittle, it will crack easily... If you do however.... Your Special! LOL Good idea though let us know if it works. Oh and on that note, I would use silicone! No drilling.

Ive managed it, but i used a dremel and a really small bit, about 1/16th inch. Then i went through and used the sander - I know thats not what its designed for but it was cheap :) - To expand the hole. Just go slowly, and use it like a cutter. Just grind the edges down, and swap sides. remove detritus... repeat.

As long as you use a really high speed, and go slowly without a lot of pressure, it should be ok.

Good Luck

Yenko said:
SRC said:
Get a plastic screw.

That won't work unless you get one designed for wood; I've seen nylon nuts/bolts for sale; but those have machine threads and won't attatch to wood.
[snapback]872780[/snapback]​

What are you talking about? A plastic screw designed for wood?

All you have to do is drill a hole threw the wood...then stick the plastic screw or bolt it and put the plastic nut on the other side...and voila.

SRC said:
Yenko said:
SRC said:
Get a plastic screw.

[snapback]872780[/snapback]​

What are you talking about? A plastic screw designed for wood?

All you have to do is drill a hole threw the wood...then stick the plastic screw or bolt it and put the plastic nut on the other side...and voila.
[snapback]873804[/snapback]​

Yeah, that would work, but then you have a nut and bolt visible. A stainless steel wood screw would be much more attractive.

So something bright and shiny is any differnt then something plastic?? :/

You could paint the plastic screw with tinted epoxy to match whatever it is you are trying to secure, or you could simply just buy a black one.

Or you could get some of these...

Weights

SRC said:
So something bright and shiny is any differnt then something plastic?? :/

You could paint the plastic screw with tinted epoxy to match whatever it is you are trying to secure, or you could simply just buy a black one.

Or you could get some of these...

Weights
[snapback]874202[/snapback]​

With a nut/bolt arrangement, the nut has to be on the outside of the material, the screw goes up through the gravel, and into the wood, but does not protrude. It is hidden by the wood and gravel.

Silicone the driftwood to the glass bottom of the tank, building up as much silicone as needed so you do not have to cover any of the driftwood with gravel.

Try a paper clip heat it up till it's red hot stick through the plastic ( omg a hole ). Then use some fishing line to tie it around the wood until its waterlogged then you can remove it.

HTH

Most reactions

Back