Drift Wood - Stones In Rivers

small-fry

Reaction score
can any one give me some information about putting drift wood or stones from rivers into my tropical tank

I think if you give the stones a good clean in very hot water.

In terms of wood, although its expensive to buy from stores, it's worth it. In the wild there could be any number of dangerous bacteria hidden in the wood. It's likely you'll be okay, it just depends whether you feel it's worth risking for the sake of a few dollars/pounds.

would boiling and leaving it to soak be ok ,or do i have to get a toothbrush and give it a good scrubbing. i have a river close by and there is some nice stones to choose from , i have been looking on ebay and some of the prices are rediculous for something that i can find myself . .

I read on another thread that you need to pour vinegar on them too and if they fizz they are not safe. I can't remember why - maybe the person that made that comment will come along and remind me :)

ok thanks for the advice , so many threads to read through im sure all this has been said before on here , iv just bought a 450l and its my first tank think i should have gone smaller at first

Most reactions

Back