Dr Axelrod

the caretaker said:
So what are the volumes like that you are talking about? Are they good vfm are there a lot of pictures? or is it one of those things that builds into something very good but on its own its ok?
Volumes one to four of the baensch books detail and picture around twenty-five thousand fish species.

Each new volume has fish that have become available in the hobby since the previous volume, plus updates of previously described species.

Each species is pictured in one or more photos and the text describes it's care, requirements, habits and breeding.

sammydee said:
What's wrong with Axelrod just out of interest?
Nothing really wrong with Axelrod...for the time that he was writing about, the information is as close to accurate as was available. As time goes on, though, the information becomes outdated, kinda like a old model of computer. Still valuable, just better models available today.

The man was a real pioneer in the hobby, we wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for the foundation that he laid (not only him, there were many others as well), not to mention all the different varieties of fish that he discovered.

sammydee said:
...I bet I can beat 1989 - I have "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" by Innes - 1957!
You beat out mine too. It's a mere 1966. :D

I must have had 3 or 4 copies of this book over the years. It seems that I grew up with it in my hands. All those amazing fish! :wub:

Its funny it still seems to be true to this day, because if I don't put something down, maybe not newspaper, but something the lady of of house beats the livin sh*t out of me so its just like the olden days. LOL

Most reactions

Back