Dr Axelrod

the caretaker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In 1989 I bought Dr Axelrods ATLAS of fresh water aquarium FISHES 3rd edition does anyone have a more up to date version and if so how much are they to buy now
it boast's 4,500 pictures I bet the newer one has a few more than that.

I flicked through the latest edition of Axlerod's book just before Christmas and went straight to the puffer section (of course!) I found several very obvious errors with the photos and so didn't buy it.

Instead we have volumes 1 through 4 of the Baensch Aquarium Atlas. A must for any serious fishkeeper in my opinion.

Baensch is great - I do wish they'd put it on CD though! Dropped vol 2 on my foot last week.....big ouchie :sick:

SarahBravo said:
Baensch is great - I do wish they'd put it on CD though! Dropped vol 2 on my foot last week.....big ouchie :sick:
That must have hurt quite a bit!

I agree, the Baensch series is great, except for the fact that half the books are still in german :grr: Does anybody which was the latest book to be translated?

Doggfather said:
SarahBravo said:
That must have hurt quite a bit!

I agree, the Baensch series is great, except for the fact that half the books are still in german :grr: Does anybody which was the latest book to be translated?
We have the first four books in English.

Volumes five and six are now available, but only in German. I'll wait for the tranlated editions before I get them.

I have volumes 1-3 aswell, but i wish there was a separate index book to tell you which book you can find a species in, rather than looking thorugh all the books!!

So what are the volumes like that you are talking about? Are they good vfm are there a lot of pictures? or is it one of those things that builds into something very good but on its own its ok?

Mmm, I was thinkig of getting newer books as the ones I have are getting old (I have Innes' Exotic Aquarium Fishes). May be Baensch will be my new favourite fish author. (Have already ruled out that Axelrod is an,... well, from what I have heard about him and one book I have of his).

What's wrong with Axelrod just out of interest?

I bet I can beat 1989 - I have "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" by Innes - 1957!

Here's a quote:

"There is a third option - a revolutionary and somewhat fascinating idea, utilising the aquarium gravel as the filter medium. As this is a very new idea, the author can give no advice to readers on how effective it is."

LOL

Well at the beginning it says "Includes 52 colour plates!" as if this is an incredibly amazing thing. Most of the pictures of fish are in black and white. There's pictures of Mr Innes on hunts in the amazon for tropical fish as well lol.

EDIT: I've also got "Exotic Tropical Fish" by various authors (Including Mr Axelrod) published 1962, and "Tropical Fish" by Mervin Roberts, published 1967. I got them all, along with a ten gallon tank, an ancient box filter and a 40 year old airpump (one of the first ones with a diaphragm as opposed to a piston) which still works from an old lady down the road.

I have 'Handbook of tropical aquarium fishes' 1955 by Axelrod and Schultz' My favourite quote is "Be sure to put newspaper down as it will upset the lady of the house if you get the carpets wet" :lol:

Jon

Most reactions

Back