Don't Know What To Do

Just looks like a platy to me.

Bottom line here is you can't have the snail and fish in the same tank. You want the snail in the main tank and you can't put the fish in the small tank.

So one has to go. Me, it would be the snail, but I know you really like it.

Just looks like a platy to me.

Bottom line here is you can't have the snail and fish in the same tank. You want the snail in the main tank and you can't put the fish in the small tank.

So one has to go. Me, it would be the snail, but I know you really like it.
I'd just keep the snail in the small tank. X)))
EDIT: forgot, filtration problem with fry tank... uhh... get another tank to keep both.

I do like the snail - rather a lot. I just wish she'd leave him be and then he can go in his proper home. She's so horrid with him though. She actually headbutts him til she turns him over and then starts nipping at his underside.

Anyway ... I still don't know where the answer is so I know I'm going to end up changing water everyday on the fry tank to keep ammonia down until an answer presents itself

I do like the snail - rather a lot. I just wish she'd leave him be and then he can go in his proper home. She's so horrid with him though. She actually headbutts him til she turns him over and then starts nipping at his underside.

Anyway ... I still don't know where the answer is so I know I'm going to end up changing water everyday on the fry tank to keep ammonia down until an answer presents itself
Try to put the snail in another tank or container and see the ammonia status on fry tank in the next days. Maybe it isn't the snail.

Or if it is and he somehow manages to make 3x the ammonia that a bunch of fry can produce, it means it will need to be cycled for the snail too...

My snail also gets nipped at by my swordie female, but she ignores him after one peck on the shell. He's too big for her to fit in her mouth, but not big enough for me to know where he is most of the time.

if it was a simple peck on his shell I'd be fine with it but it isn't. She's just so vicious. I have wondered if I should just put him in and see if she gets bored of attacking him

if it was a simple peck on his shell I'd be fine with it but it isn't. She's just so vicious. I have wondered if I should just put him in and see if she gets bored of attacking him
He must be one tasty snail o_O Do you have any other snails in there?
Has there ever been a time when you have squished pest snails and left the fish to eat them? Might have caused a liking for escargot.

I have squished snails in the past but there's a trumpet snail in there and she's not bothered by that.

I've been doing some research on the net regarding which fish platies can breed with as the platy/molly thing is infuriating me.

There are people who will swear it is impossible but there are also fish keepers who swear the opposite. There are stories of people who have one male molly and only female platies and have found fry. Most seem to die at birth but there have been some that have survived - these people are getting some serious stick and told it's not possible despite proving that it is.

However it is and what ever my fish is she is not just a plain old red wagtail platy. She's almost twice the size of my other fully grown female platies and her nose is a different shape.

I have squished snails in the past but there's a trumpet snail in there and she's not bothered by that.

I've been doing some research on the net regarding which fish platies can breed with as the platy/molly thing is infuriating me.

There are people who will swear it is impossible but there are also fish keepers who swear the opposite. There are stories of people who have one male molly and only female platies and have found fry. Most seem to die at birth but there have been some that have survived - these people are getting some serious stick and told it's not possible despite proving that it is.

However it is and what ever my fish is she is not just a plain old red wagtail platy. She's almost twice the size of my other fully grown female platies and her nose is a different shape.
platy_wagtail_2.jpg

Wagtail noses ^
I think she's a giant platy (could have some swordtail genes from past generations that don't display too outright, hence the aggressiveness towards the snail).

About the trumpets, maybe they don't taste / smell as good as your apple snail.

thanks fishblast. You could be right, I've no idea now if I'm being honest. I'd read that platies and mollies can interbreed and I'd just decided that was what she was.
My Dad has kept fish on and off for over 40 years - he used to breed betta's at one stage so he's know's his stuff. He says she's not a platy. She's got the platy colour but she's too big and the wrong shape. He keeps telling me she's a molly too.

Anyway, my original post wasn't anything to do with her breed so I'd like to go back to the original question.

If I put the snail in the main tank and ignore her behaviour with him will he survive long enough for her to get bored of trying to eat something she shouldn't be?

thanks fishblast. You could be right, I've no idea now if I'm being honest. I'd read that platies and mollies can interbreed and I'd just decided that was what she was.
My Dad has kept fish on and off for over 40 years - he used to breed betta's at one stage so he's know's his stuff. He says she's not a platy. She's got the platy colour but she's too big and the wrong shape. He keeps telling me she's a molly too.

Anyway, my original post wasn't anything to do with her breed so I'd like to go back to the original question.

If I put the snail in the main tank and ignore her behaviour with him will he survive long enough for her to get bored of trying to eat something she shouldn't be?
Well, if he has a shield that covers his underside, he won't be hurt and she might get bored. Try distracting her with food.
She also might be territorial and investigating the snail as a possible intruder. She may come to accept him after a while, but if she doesn't stop within a day, that would be a problem.

Hi, you're not alone! My platy also attacks my apple snail (snail is huge). None of the other fish bother it, just the platy. But it's not continuous so I just leave them be. The snail retreats into his shell and the platy soon gets bored :lol:

Hi, you're not alone! My platy also attacks my apple snail (snail is huge). None of the other fish bother it, just the platy. But it's not continuous so I just leave them be. The snail retreats into his shell and the platy soon gets bored :lol:

So glad it's not just me! I am tempted to put him back in the main tank now. He has got a shield underneath

I once had an apple snail then i introduced a b/n catfish and he decided to play football with it.

Especially when the lights were off you could hear him bouncing it off the tank glass this went on for about 3 months.

I used to chase him off with the end off my algae scraper untill all of a sudden the snail dissapeard then a month later i took out my slate cave and found the snail shell.

The catfish had pushed him in there and batterd it until the snail was wedged into a position. I guess then he proceeded to eat him :(.

well I've put the snail back in the main tank and she's currently battering him around. The snail is trying to move everytime she goes away, then she notices he's moving and goes back for another go.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it carries on he'll have to go back in the fry tank - or she goes in the death jug

Most reactions

Back