Don't Know What To Do

Akasha72

Warning - Mad Cory Woman
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've run into a problem. I can see ways out of it but they arn't ideal.

The problem is the small 26 litre fry tank. I've had to put my purple apple snail in there as I have a platy/molly cross that just tries to kill and eat him if he's in the main tank.
The problem is I'm having ammonia problems in the fry tank. I tested it today and it was around 1ppm. I did an immediate large water change and have got it back down to zero for now. I'll test again in the morning.

The thing is I can't see how it could be fry causing such a large rise in ammonia. The fry in there vary in ages but there arn't enough of them to be causing such a big issue. The tank is filtered (interpet pf mini). The filter is new but I put some old media in there to try and instantly cycle it (perhaps not working?)

My best guess is it's the snail causing the problem and ideally I want to put him in the main tank where he belongs. I got him to help with cleaning and right now, he's not really living the best life in a tiny hexagon tank with a few babies.

To get him into the main tank I'd have to be rid of the platy/molly cross. I don't know anyone that would want an ageing fish (she's about 18 months old maybe) that's the biggest bully going.

I am tempted to knock her on the head (or clove oil her) but that just feels cruel.

I really can't see a way out of this and that's why I'm posting here. Can anyone make any better suggestions?

Take her to a shop, I'm sure the one you take the fry to would take it?

I don't think they will. They're happy to take the fry as they can grow them on and then sell them.

I could ask at P@H ...

I am confused, how do you get a molly/platy cross?

It might just be a mini-cycle, could be worth waiting it out?

she was bought (as a baby) as a red wagtail platy. She has all the red wagtail colouring but she's grown really huge and her nose is the wrong shape for a platy. My Dad thinks she's a molly but I can still see platy which is why I've labelled her as a cross. I read that platies and mollies can interbreed

Take her to a shop, I'm sure the one you take the fry to would take it?

I can't help feeling that there's a moral imperative not to pass our problem fish onto some poor unsuspecting customer. :no:

A better solution might be to temporarily partition off a small part of the larger tank for the snail perhaps?

your right Prime Ordeal, It doesn't feel right either to go dump her at an lfs for someone else to find out what a nightmare she is. I'd feel terrible.

On the other hand sadguppy could be correct, this could be just a mini-cycle. I could be battering my brain with this dilema for no reason ...

As my title says ... I just don't know what to do

Hey everyone,

I've run into a problem. I can see ways out of it but they arn't ideal.

The problem is the small 26 litre fry tank. I've had to put my purple apple snail in there as I have a platy/molly cross that just tries to kill and eat him if he's in the main tank.
The problem is I'm having ammonia problems in the fry tank. I tested it today and it was around 1ppm. I did an immediate large water change and have got it back down to zero for now. I'll test again in the morning.

The thing is I can't see how it could be fry causing such a large rise in ammonia. The fry in there vary in ages but there arn't enough of them to be causing such a big issue. The tank is filtered (interpet pf mini). The filter is new but I put some old media in there to try and instantly cycle it (perhaps not working?)

My best guess is it's the snail causing the problem and ideally I want to put him in the main tank where he belongs. I got him to help with cleaning and right now, he's not really living the best life in a tiny hexagon tank with a few babies.

To get him into the main tank I'd have to be rid of the platy/molly cross. I don't know anyone that would want an ageing fish (she's about 18 months old maybe) that's the biggest bully going.

I am tempted to knock her on the head (or clove oil her) but that just feels cruel.

I really can't see a way out of this and that's why I'm posting here. Can anyone make any better suggestions?
Platy/Molly cross?!
I've got an idea with that. *evil grin*
It goes like this: breed platy/molly hybrid with guppy since guppies and mollies breed to make muppies, then breed that to a platy and then breed to a swordtail.

The result = ????

Platies and mollies can't actually crossbreed but a muppytail does sound cute...

well here's a picture of her ... somebody else can guess what she is

IMG_0875.jpg

Hmmm looks like a platy to me. Could be a swordtail/platy cross as they are bigger.

I refer you to this ...

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/55508-can-you-crossbreed-a-platy-and-molly/

God the stupidity in that thread made my brain hurt! Haha.

Hmmm looks like a platy to me. Could be a swordtail/platy cross as they are bigger.
Doesn't look like a swordtail much, might just be a platy suffering of gigantism.
Swordies have a rounder beak, platies seem to have that bird beak (makes them look like hens to me...).
Mollies have the swordie beak too. So I don't see any traits of other fish in it.

Most reactions

Back