Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've used it and I love it - never going back

• Total voters

ddm18

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It occurred to me that there have been at least a million posts (maybe two million) from people asking whether they should use sand instead of gravel, and I don't recall hearing a negative response from anyone, ever, just thought I'd see whether numbers would back me up!

For the record - I started with gravel (came with the tank), then changed to sand because I thought it would look better, then changed back to (very smooth) gravel, because I wanted to try a UGF (which I'd never tried, and I'm not one to be opposed to something without trying it!). Anyway, I almost immediately got sick of the UGF and changed to an external canister filter, which I think is great, but stupidly I threw the sand out :)rolleyes:), and I haven't got around to getting more yet. Very soon though.

I've used it before, but I don't prefer it. I don't hate it but, I prefer fine gravel over sand. Its almost the same but, there so little pre-washing and gives the fish borrowing opertunities like real sand.

i have used it and love it , but only slight downside is that you can see their poo lying on the top of the sand! I have used silica sand which is especially white so worse than most for showing poo roflmao but still its great - the corys love it :kana:

I have it in two tanks and I HATE it! :grr: :grr: :grr: :lol: It looks so dirty all the time and I can't stand it :S Freshmike and I talked about this and how I hate it, and he said maybe that should make me realize how dirty my gravel tanks are, but you just can't see it :thumbs: Guess what freshmike? I don't care! Still hate it :sly: :lol: :p

I lOVE IT!

Here's a tip: Increase the water flow in the tank, make sure it covers the entire tank - add a second small filter if necessary. My sand is always perfectly clean and I never lift a finger! :D

I just set up a new tank with sand. I love the way it looks, but have had a hard time cleaning it. I can't seem to vacuum up the dirt and waste without sucking up the sand and a bunch ending up in the bucket. I have not yet gone back to gravel because I don't really want to go through the hassel, but any cleaning suggestions would be much appreciated.

teacherspet, how great is the distance between your syphon and your bucket? If you raise the bucket the suction will be reduced and might not get as much sand.

PS I love sand and won't go back to gravel. I love the way it looks and find it really easy to keep clean because the mess is always on top. My cories love it too. :D

I used it and hate, just like sorrell said it looks dirty all the time no matter how many times you clean it!!!

changed it and love it!

if you have a good filter and corys(they eat the poop!) then it looks cleaner then anything!

Love it, i would never use gravel in any of my tanks. Aquarium is very unnnatural and ranks along side neon coloured dinosaurs and bubble opperated treasure chests for ugliness IMO.

CFC said:
Love it, i would never use gravel in any of my tanks.  Aquarium is very unnnatural and ranks along side neon coloured dinosaurs and bubble opperated treasure chests for ugliness IMO.
Just out of curiosity;
how do you know that dinosaurs wern't neon
coloured or bright pink or blue with purple spots for that matter? :dunno:

Most reactions

Back