Does anybody have any experience using Fenbendazole (panacur) for treating planaria worms ?

Richee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I probably have made a mistake and have used the wrong kind . I used a bottle of liquid Fenbendazole, made for reptiles , and dosed my water with it . Do you think it is the same thing as the Fenbendazole sold for use in aquariums ?

I'm not vet, but in general, the fenbendazole should be the same compound. The amount is going to be what you need to be careful about -- using the right amount of active ingredient for the water volume. Also, it will likely kill any snails you have,

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_parasites_planarian-flatworms

Flubenol contains the active substance flubendazole, while Panacur contains fenbendazole. Both drugs have a similar mode of action. Due to disruption of the metabolism or the digestive system the planarians will eventually starve. Treatment with either medication should be repeated after approximately two weeks as they have no effect on planarian eggs. Thus, at the end of the "breeding season" newly hatched planaria are directly killed.

Unfortunately, both Flubenol and Panacur have a negative impact on the ecosystem in the aquarium. Flubenol kills all types of snails in the aquarium and the active substance is stored in the substrate for several months. Snails can only be re-introduced into the tank after a very, very long time. Panacur harms mostly snails like Neritina and Clithons. Red rimmed Melania, staghorn- and Physidae seem to be more likely to survive a treatment.. Again, the active ingredient remains in the substrate and thus inhibits a restocking in the near future. If Panacur is overdosed, it can also lead to deformities and reproductive disorders in shrimp.

Most reactions

Back