Do You Think That Tank Under 5 Gal Should Be Banned?

Should they be banned?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't know

• Don't care

• Total voters
think it should be banned for goldfish. annoys me that in the shop where i work we sell 14 litre and 21 litre Hagen elite tanks which they themselves say on the box are suitable for 3 goldfish. they clearly arent even suitable for half a goldfish let alone 3 full ones! and a 10 litre one by the same make that says sutiable for two......... what the hells that all about

I would vote no in general, but I would be happy to see them made illegal for goldfish. Personally I have a five gallon, I put a betta in it and it looked too small for him , I am not saying its cruel just that he looked like a caged animal in there. Even the tiny rasboras (Brigitte) four of them weigh as much as a cardinal tetra looked too confined. The betta and the rasboras are back in the four-foot tank and use all the space and look much better to my eye, I don’t know that they are happier the water is easier to keep stable, its hard to know what’s cruel and what’s not with fish beyond not giving them conditions that make them sick or kill them. Small fish in a big tank display much more natural behaviour. I now have the five-gallon for cherry and crystal red shrimps and they look fine and have enough room. I guess my question is just because a small tank wont kill the fish, (as they will do in the case of goldfish) is that good enough in terms of animal welfare? Even tiny fish can move form one end of a five-foot tank to the other in seconds. My two pence

Most reactions

Back