Do you have Cherry Shrimp?

If you have cherry shrimp, what is the PH and hardness of you water? My PH may be a bit high at 7.6. My hardness is 175ppm.

I am always really stiff at controlling nutrients in my tanks and never experienced any kind of blooming or algae outbreak in my whole hobby life. I have difficulty to promote it... Loll.

And believe me. I feed them nearly all the time but... They are hungry when I feed them.

When I start disposing food and they don't come out for it, I can stop for a couple days.

I have standard 3-7 mm gravel and it helps retaining the food instead of blocking the pre-filter all the time.

I also have lots of botanical, Cholla wood, Almond leaves and Mopani wood. but with only 2 nerite in the tank, they take care of it all the time they keep the cholla polished and also steals a lot from the shrimps. a chance that the nerite are too big to enter in the cholla woods, it leaves a place to grow film for the youngest shrimps.

If you have cherry shrimp, what is the PH and hardness of you water? My PH may be a bit high at 7.6. My hardness is 175ppm.
Your water is perfect. I have to harden mine a little but it works very well. My original tap is 60-80GH 10-20KH 7.2-7.4PH I raise it to 120-140GH 50-60KH 7.6-7.8PH

Only see 2 of the tiny cherries I bought, but expect as tiny as they are, I’ll only see half of them…. Looking close for them, I see I have baby high fin sunset Platy’s in the tank, 3-4 of those… so assuming things are pretty good in the tank… this morning I added an Indian Almond leaf to the tank… thinking that will help both the shrimp, and the fry

Only see 2 of the tiny cherries I bought, but expect as tiny as they are, I’ll only see half of them…. Looking close for them, I see I have baby high fin sunset Platy’s in the tank, 3-4 of those… so assuming things are pretty good in the tank… this morning I added an Indian Almond leaf to the tank… thinking that will help both the shrimp, and the fry
If you want the almond leaves to become available as food quickly. put them in boiling water for a minute before putting them in the tank. It will greatly enhance the bio-film production and smoother fibres. Dry they will take a number of days before being "edible" but will last longer.

Was going to get a fry picture, but they moved away from the front of the tank.. but a couple of lil cherries were hanging out by the heater…
IMG_4832.jpeg

My pH is 7.2 and GH 200 ppm. My shrimp are thriving and breeding.

I've got hundreds of the things living in my two sumps. I introduced about 5 into my tank a couple of years ago and presumed they had gone but instead theres loads of them in my sump predominantly in the alfagrog chamber. I dont feed them but I assume the feed on the food that goes through the sump

I discovered another way to feed the shrimp. I place bits of wet fish flakes on the large java moss in the tank. Within minutes, I had 3 customers.

Oh, they're also super drawn to anything new added to a tank. If I add a new plant or something, even just from another tank, they'll cover it remarkably quickly, investigating every possible scrap of biofilm that may be on it.

I installed a java moss Pre-filter in front of my pre-filter, and bacter AE rised the thing, The really small ones are all hanging in there. The other babies are 3 weeks old (well since I saw them first) they are already pushing around the adults.

Oh, they're also super drawn to anything new added to a tank. If I add a new plant or something, even just from another tank, they'll cover it remarkably quickly, investigating every possible scrap of biofilm that may be on it.
They are always all over the things you want to temper with, hanging on the tweezers, nosing on what is going up etc. Not nervous at all.

Is this a sign of breeding? Three shrimp ate huddled together on the heater for several minutes. Are they breeding?
IMG_3196.jpeg

The one on the left is female, can't see the others properly. But I don't think it's breeding. Have you seen the males whizzing all over the tank? That happens when the female releases an "I'm ready to mate, come find me" pheromone and the males go looking for her.

This link has photos of breeding, it'll take a while to load all the photos.

Here’s another photo Can you tell the sex of these two shrimp?
IMG_3197.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back