Do Fish Stores Take Back Fish?

garrym1983

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anybody ever taken fish to a LFS purely beecause they dont want them?
I have a friend whos trying to get rid of their tank, he has a buyer for the tank but cant get rid of the fish! Tried ebay, and tried giving them away but no takers. Do stores take them in?!!

Some stores may, while others wouldn't. All you can do is ask around local stores in your area. I wouldn't expect to get anything in return for them though.

1 shop near me buys fish at half the price they have them advertised.

There is another one that advertises it doesnt take them but ive been going there for ages so they knock money off fish if i trade in fish.

So they do take them, just ring around.

My lfs will take them but at half the price so he can sell the for a profit which I think is fair enough if u look around ur area u will find 1 who will do the same

Most of my local shops will gladly rehome fish for customers, in fact I have taken two silver dollars of my most frequant shop as they knew i kept them and quarantinned them for a week for the grand total of £5.
True customer service,

It will probably depend on the fish. If its a load of guppies and tetras etc I'd say they will take them no problem. If its a tiger shovel nose, then that's a different story

All the crappy stores in my area will take a fish for free. If you are asking for money it's a different story.

My LFS will give you 1/3 what it's worth/they can sell it for. My local petco takes them for free and petsmart wont at all.

i managed to sell a load of them on ebay but im left with some lemon tetras and is it white fin rosy tetra?? that i literally cant give away online, id keep them for my aquarium but id be overstocking on fish that id ultimately rather not have. ill phone around and see how i go. thanks

some stores will depending on your reason. if they dont have a spare tank then they wont. so for example petsd at home who always stock every tank wont. theres no way they would put a returned fish back in a tank with other fish as they would risk disease to the other fish. hope this helps

Most reactions

Back