Diy Tank Overflow Without Drilling Your Tank

Mikey1

Moved On
Reaction score
a good video i found for those who want an overflow on their tank for a sump or drip system, no need to drill the tank.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yVr7DiDls

This guy is awesome I have watched all his videos and he knows his stuff.

I will be building my 150 gal tank the way he builds his glass tanks

You can get overflow boxes too off of many websites. But PVC would be cheaper but with that if it gets clogged then your room is going to be flooded :p

Supraman said:
This guy is awesome I have watched all his videos and he knows his stuff.

I will be building my 150 gal tank the way he builds his glass tanks

yeah i have been thinking about doing a drip system on my 300 gallon, i might do it and use this as the overflow

Brilly91 said:
This sounded good to me until techen spoke
tongue2.gif

why?

that could happen with any sump/drip system

That system is great but is not for display tanks because you can not fill the tank. The water level must be lower for that pvc pipe system to function properly.

Where is has its best application is in fish room type settings where filling the tank to the "top" is not important.

Mikey1 said:
that could happen with any sump/drip system
This system, while clever, does use rather small pipes which does give me caution in terms of just one snail. It would just take a rather small narite or mystery snail to stop up the drain or a piece of leaf or algae.

My drains are 1" pipes. While it is possible for that large of a pipe to get clogged it's not probable.

Since he has a ball valve on the pump he could control GPH easily which means creating the same system from a larger pipe, putting some safey cover on it would make it nearly fool proof and quieter. An overflow box and larger pipe would be the changes I would make this. Nice video though, very easy to make system which can allow for some great filtration or secondary tank options.

@TTA, you can fill the tank to whatever level you set the drain at. In the video he's got it full enough for livestock and it can be raised over what he has. This is also where an overflow box would come in handy. The water level would be to the level of the box, flow over, and then enter the drain.

TwoTankAmin said:
That system is great but is not for display tanks because you can not fill the tank. The water level must be lower for that pvc pipe system to function properly.

Where is has its best application is in fish room type settings where filling the tank to the "top" is not important.

you can have the water level as high as you want, the water level is determined by the length/height of the overflow pipe, he cut it short as an example, you could have that pipe within 1mm of the top of the tank, and thats where the water height/level would be

tcamos said:
This system, while clever, does use rather small pipes which does give me caution in terms of just one snail. It would just take a rather small narite or mystery snail to stop up the drain or a piece of leaf or algae.

yes i agree, i would use larger pipes also

20130429_213026.jpg

My system uses small pipes as well but theres a back up drain and it's also cut off from the rest of the tank anyway.

Right, your tank has a back up and it looks to be housed in an overflow box as well so you have safety upon safety which is nice. Pouring water out of your tank is always frightening. :)

Ohyea, I always check it daily incase of any blockage. My parents would murder me if it flooded :(

Most reactions

Back