Diy Led Hood Build

Aye a right cheeky.....

Dont suppose you could post links to where you got the lenses etc?

Ok so I've had the mdf cut to size just waiting for the 3mm black Perspex now, hopefully my brother will be doing this tomorrow (DT teacher) and I'm set to get drilling on Saturday.

Have you chosen black mdf to hide the wiring?

I am following this with anticipation btw, will be doing something myself later in the year but hope to introduce a few blue LEDs and a custom made digital driver to switch from one set to another like a dawn/dusk. Money and time will tell though.

I chose the black perpex to cover the bottom (water side) of the mdf sheet 1 so it looks good and 2 so it's waterproof. Fingers crossed its all ready for the weekend

Ok small update, the LEDs have arrived but I couldn't get any Perspex cut in the right size, so I've had to go to plan B which is buying clear Perspex from wickes (DIY store) and cutting it too size.

3f882530.jpg

6ac3e230.jpg

can i ask what wattage youre leds are where you got them from and how much they are per unit(led lense driver etc)

The LEDs I chose are 3w and were £16.59 for 20
The drivers are 3w and were £2.50 each
The lenses are 60 degree and were £2.05 for 5

All purchased from eBay most have come from hong kong but pritty cheap

found everything but the driver as it confuses me....help...which ones??

You need one that has a current output equal to the operating current of the LED's, and is also 3W. Most can only power up to 6 LED's though so you might need more dependent on the number you're using.

Here you go
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=380456271995

In using 3 of them just make a best offer of $4 each.

You will also need some of these
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=390406525062

Ok my little brain just did something weird and then something popped out of it, through different mediums. My wife tells me what i just had was a "thought or idea" and looks a little concerned that this may become a regular occurrance. Anyway. Its the thought of using "water cooling" to keep those drivers chilled. Or at least, at 25 degrees or there abouts...

It just occured to me that the heat is an output of the energy input. Overall to our fishtanks we usually add further energy input to heat said tank. Now i imagine regulating this as a permanent solution being outwith the home tinkerer but as a supplementary system to heat up water and reduce the heater usage whilst the lights are on... is this not a bit of a good weird brain thingy?

My driver runs at about 24oC, you'd have more luck heating from the heatsinks attached to the LED's in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back