Discus

zakkp8

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm ordering some through my lfs, and I'm thinking of getting these types...

Baby Blue Panda
Nebula
Siam Yellow Master
Blue/green snakeskin
Ruby Red
& Ocean Green

are they nice colors? Is that a good stock? How much will they cost? The guy there said nowhere near $70, for any single fish. So whats your opnion?

cheapest i can find is a 2'' for 25$

im going to get discus later on, im still researching and asking questions but i dont feel prepared yet :)

What size is you're tank? All those will have some nice color patterens, and should be nice and expensive. Well going from the prices around here, it would cost you around $400, and thats if you get like a deal on so many.

the blue panda gets to a nice colour the snakeskin and the green are really nice in colour cant tell you about the others as iv never had them unless they have another name in the uk but yeah they could cost you alot of money depends on where you get them from id shop around for the best price and obeiousley the best quality and as big as you can afford to get them so theres no chance of stunting there growth.

Hi there,

I'm currently researching discus for myself, and everything I've read so far has indicated that six discus is the minimum number you'd want to go with. So from what you've listed, it looks good. Discus fish need about 10 gallons per adult fish, so your tank should be at least 55 gallons. Are you buying juveniles or adults. You'll get a better price on juveniles because they are smaller, but you'll have a lot more work to do to get them to adult size. Also question the source of the fish. There are some reputable breeders and there are some very dubious breeders.

HTH

Hi there,

I'm currently researching discus for myself, and everything I've read so far has indicated that six discus is the minimum number you'd want to go with. So from what you've listed, it looks good. Discus fish need about 10 gallons per adult fish, so your tank should be at least 55 gallons. Are you buying juveniles or adults. You'll get a better price on juveniles because they are smaller, but you'll have a lot more work to do to get them to adult size. Also question the source of the fish. There are some reputable breeders and there are some very dubious breeders.

HTH
It is 55 galons and I'll probibly get the younger ones, because I want to enjoy them longer and watch them grow. I know it will be alot of work, I'm also really setting up the tank, it is cycled and has some plants and wood/rocks but I want alot of plants. So thats another thing I'm working for.

It is 55 galons and I'll probibly get the younger ones, because I want to enjoy them longer and watch them grow. I know it will be alot of work, I'm also really setting up the tank, it is cycled and has some plants and wood/rocks but I want alot of plants. So thats another thing I'm working for.

Discus live for around 10 years so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy them. Juveniles should not be kept in planted tanks, and really you'd want to keep more than 6 anyway. Juvenlies really require a bare bottom tank, and I suggest that for adults too, it makes things a lot easier. You can still have plants in pots and bogwood etc.

Make life easier on yourself and buy Discus around 4" or above. Also be sure you know what their water requirements. I wouldn't order through an LFS unless they have had decent quality Discus in before, and be sure you have the right to reject them if you don't like the look of them.

It is easier if the tank bottom is bare, but it does'nt look very nice. Sand is very easy to clean, and its better for the plants.

It is easier if the tank bottom is bare, but it does'nt look very nice. Sand is very easy to clean, and its better for the plants.

but keeping young discus in a heavly planted tank can stunt there growth which will shorten there life span. if you want to keep them from young you want a bare bottom tank then maybe later adding sand and plants once grown. but yes sand is easyer to clean and found my adult discus love it to but i wouldnt recomend it for small and young discus.

IMO, the more the merrier (assuming you have the tank for them) as it spreads aggression and it is more natural for them. As they can't count, there will always be argument over a minimum number - you hear 5, 6, 8... etc.... In a 55 gallon tank I think 6 would be good.
I always reckon you're best setting up to succeed with as little risk as possible, so erring on the side of caution is never a bad plan. If you're set on getting juvenilles, it is better to keep the tank as bare as possible as this means that it is easy to keep it as clean as possible (well, easier at least!). I don't beleive it's strictly essential to keep the tank bare, but really it will be so much easier if you limit your decor as much as possible, at least for the first 6 months or more.
How about keeping fewer plants, and having them in "pots" so you can lift them out to clean the tank?

A 55 will hold 6 adults, a minimum of 5 can be kept but if you really want to raise juveniles you'll need more than this. Then you'll run out of space eventually, so you'll need to rehome some or end up with stunted fish.

IMO running Discus and heavily planted tanks are two different things, and you need to very experienced with both before attempting to combine the two.

Make sure you know what Discus require and that your prepared/able to spend the time/money on them. Don't want to offend you but it may be worth waiting till your older too.

Most reactions

Back