Discus With Other Fish?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok I will try and figure out what I am goingto do here.... I dont have the money to buy 6 discus, maybe I will buy them slowly and buy the cheaper fish first than at least I have something in there until I get the discus.... Thanks for the great advice!!! :)

I couldnt agree more, people that keep discus know about discus, people able to BREED them really care about about discus so its always better to get them from a breeder for cost and also because you know they are well looked after. Make sure you find out what water stats the breeder has regarding pH etc and more importantly temerature etc.

With most discus being tank bred now they arent as hard to keep as they used to be but its best to be safe than sorry, my local papers, admag etc are always full of breeding pairs of discus about half the price you pay for one in the shop. One bit of advice though if you buy privately pick them up from the seller, make sure they are swimminmg in the tank when you arrive so you can see them in their enviroment.

Truely the KINGS of tropical fish....good luck

Thanks... Do to the fact that I am probably the only person in my area with this hobby, at least I think... I never see any fish for sale in the newspaper, just tanks. I will have to due some research on some good discus breeders, if there are any in my area(I hope so). Thanks Again!!

What size is ur discus? If you are going to get more discus you should get those similar size to ur old one else it will never grow up as discus will release some kind of toxic to prevent young discus from growing. But if you cant then just use another tank to grow ur young one until they r the size of ur current one then added it to the tank. I strongly recommand you to get some decent discus instead of low quality one even if its a little more expansive. You will notice how much difference they were once they reach 2-3 inches.

I dont have a discus yet... :rolleyes: I am planning on getting some pretty nice ones once I find a breeder near me, right now I dont even have water in the tank so it may be another month until I get my first fish.

Try looking up www.simplydiscus.com, they have ads for breeders etc.
They also have lots and lots of advice re: keeping them.

Most reactions

Back