Discus Size

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ifarrell93

Reaction score
Okay i have heard/read of 2 size ranges for discus. It's either 6-7" or 10-12". which is it?
or could it be that 6-7" is the normal size and 10-12" is a rare monster? can i get a clear answer? Please?

10-12" from what I have seen in person. 6-7" is classed as "small" by almost every seller I have looked at, when searching for the discus colour morph I want, in the last few months.

so many variables affect the size a discus will grow to . to get them to acheive their full potential they have tyo be given the very best start in life , lots of waterchanges and lots of regular feedings. discus casn easily become stunted early in life and if that happens they will never reach the sort of sizes quoted,. altho well looked after discus can reach a fair old size

10-12" from what I have seen in person. 6-7" is classed as "small" by almost every seller I have looked at, when searching for the discus colour morph I want, in the last few months.

12"!? That must be some Discus, cant say Ive seen many more than the 8" range, I would also say 8-10", but its a skill to get them that big :good:

12"!? That must be some Discus, cant say Ive seen many more than the 8" range, I would also say 8-10", but its a skill to get them that big :good:
Germans are obsessive, many breeders even keep the breeding rooms a very heavily guarded secret, under lock and key.. Discus also have a lot of value here, and a 12" fish will usually fetch 400-1000 EUR each. Yes, people really do pay that here! But it is also a very popular hobby here: even the most basic beginner tanks here are planted and often quite appropriately sized for the fish, which I find refreshing, coming from UK, and it is very common to walk along the street and see an aquarium through a window of about every third house or so. When I first came over from UK and was unloading my furniture from the van (inc. the aquariums and fish), I even had a few people who were walking along the street stop and start talking to me about fishkeeping! (Which didn't work very well, given that I couldn't speak a word of German at the time.. :rolleyes: ) Compared to other countries I have been to, the community here is very friendly and open, language is the only barrier I have come up against and even then, a lot of people do speak fluent English (generally, they start by saying "I really must apologise for my awful English") and switch as soon as I stumble in my broken German. And as for LFS, the bad ones are what I would consider to be the average in UK, but the good ones are much better.. Of course, one has to pay the price for the quality: everything is about double the price I can get it for in UK.

I'd say 10" definitely....i have seen some monsters, 12" if you add the tail i suppose.

Most reactions

Back