Discus Maturity

jpjagged

Reaction score
at what age do discus become sexually mature and how does the breeding work with discus in regards to which discus can spawn with which?

does it have anything to do with the number of stress bars they have?? etc...

hi jpjagged
the female matures at about 18 months the male 2 years old i dont know about other strain but my red angelerers were that age when they started breeding hope this helps

at what age do discus become sexually mature and how does the breeding work with discus in regards to which discus can spawn with which?

Stress bars are pretty self explanatory. You will see heavy stress bars on the fish normally if something is wrong. My guess for the reason they have them in nature, would be to help them blend into fallen branches, ect.

I don't know a whole lot in this field, but I would say it takes 12+ months for the Discus to become sexually mature. Breeding Discus together really depends on the strain you want. All Discus can breed together, but it depends on exactly what fry you are looking for.

Stress bars are pretty self explanatory. You will see heavy stress bars on the fish normally if something is wrong. My guess for the reason they have them in nature, would be to help them blend into fallen branches, ect.

I don't know a whole lot in this field, but I would say it takes 12+ months for the Discus to become sexually mature. Breeding Discus together really depends on the strain you want. All Discus can breed together, but it depends on exactly what fry you are looking for.
yes , at 10 to 12 months the discus become mature enough to breed. This does not mean that any breeding will take place because it can take a much longer time for them to pair up..another good tip if if you notice a pair( in a tank with other fish) clearing a spot to lay it's eggs ..do not remove the bred pair from the tank to another .Leave them in the tank and after they are done Remove the other fish to another tank.If you remove the bred pair the spawn will not happen

i thought i would add a bit on nutrition as well. White worms ,tetra bits , Omega One Super
Color Flake Food , Omega One Kelp Super Veggie Flake Food , Wattley's beef heart mix (Discus Formula) and Omega One First
Flake Food ( for the babies once old enough for flake) do not feed brine shrimp as they have little nutrition and DO NOT feed live black worms as they can result in giving your fish tape worms ..why risk it

yes , at 10 to 12 months the discus become mature enough to breed. This does not mean that any breeding will take place because it can take a much longer time for them to pair up..another good tip if if you notice a pair( in a tank with other fish) clearing a spot to lay it's eggs ..do not remove the bred pair from the tank to another .Leave them in the tank and after they are done Remove the other fish to another tank.If you remove the bred pair the spawn will not happen

i thought i would add a bit on nutrition as well. White worms ,tetra bits , Omega One Super
Color Flake Food , Omega One Kelp Super Veggie Flake Food , Wattley's beef heart mix (Discus Formula) and Omega One First
Flake Food ( for the babies once old enough for flake) do not feed brine shrimp as they have little nutrition and DO NOT feed live black worms as they can result in giving your fish tape worms ..why risk it

For babies you pretty much want to feed a very high protien diet 3-5 times daily.

For babies you pretty much want to feed a very high protien diet 3-5 times daily.
yep ..... much of my edit was for the adults really i should have made another thread.. all but the first flake food from omega. lol i like omega what can i say
while the babies are first swimmers ..let the parents feed them , they have every thing they need .. i start feeding mine after i remove them from the breeder tank

Most reactions

Back