Discus Juvies Becoming Adults?

petertr

Fish Addict
Reaction score
As many of you know (as you've been helping me), I bought 5 young discus a few months back.

Since then, they've grown to about 6".

I've noticed over the last 4-5 days that they've started some (minor) fighting. Is this sorting out the pecking order or could it be the beginning of them pairing off?

Also, am I still ok to add more to the tank? I would like a couple of different colours of discus in the tank, rather than just the one.
(300L tank - 2BN plec and 5 discus at the moment)

Advise would be grand - thanks.

Also, is it possible to differentiate the males from the females?

How are the Discus acting when they aren't fighting?
Do certain fish swim together constantly and stay near each other?
They may be pairing off, but I'm assuming that they are probably just sorting out the pecking order if you cant really tell... FYI these fish have been known to pair off with same gender fish...
Mine tend to do a lot of fin flicking and bullying at times once the food is starting to get scarce on the bottom of the tank during feeding times... that comes and goes, depends on their "mood" i guess... and how hungry they are
did you recently change things in the tank, as restructuring can change things around for them too. Pecking order can go along with getting bigger and wanting to be higher up on the food chain... My Pecking has changed many times as one fish gets bigger than another etc...

SEXING/From what i have learned there is no Reliable way to tell the difference between males and females until they have or are ready to breed... you can look for changes in their structure as they mature such as changes in their fins that MAY indicate one way or another but, other than that its really hard until you see their breeding tubes...

As the above said, it could be paring up, or a fish trying to get higher up in the hierarchy. Time will tell, but if it is a pair, lucky you!!

Also, is it possible to differentiate the males from the females?

How are the Discus acting when they aren't fighting?
Do certain fish swim together constantly and stay near each other?
They may be pairing off, but I'm assuming that they are probably just sorting out the pecking order if you cant really tell... FYI these fish have been known to pair off with same gender fish...
Mine tend to do a lot of fin flicking and bullying at times once the food is starting to get scarce on the bottom of the tank during feeding times... that comes and goes, depends on their "mood" i guess... and how hungry they are
did you recently change things in the tank, as restructuring can change things around for them too. Pecking order can go along with getting bigger and wanting to be higher up on the food chain... My Pecking has changed many times as one fish gets bigger than another etc...

SEXING/From what i have learned there is no Reliable way to tell the difference between males and females until they have or are ready to breed... you can look for changes in their structure as they mature such as changes in their fins that MAY indicate one way or another but, other than that its really hard until you see their breeding tubes...

Yes, I did re-structure the whole tank about 2 weeks ago. Could be that the old pecking order was destroyed and a new one is being created.

Oh well, its fun to watch :)

If your fish are 6" I wouldnt call them juvinilles anymore. Are you ever gonna post new pics?

I had terrible trouble with fighting discus and was eventually left with a pair,others gradually died from stress.
If you have a pair I would find a new home for the rest with lots of other discus.That said I have seen people keep all different sized discus together
in reasonable harmony so it can be a bit of a mystery.My experience is that there is always a tank whipping boy and this can be quite hard to watch at times.

Most reactions

Back