Discus In A 29 Gallon

sic0198

Fish Herder
Reaction score
If I only had a few, could I put discus in a 29 gallon?

It was just an idea, was thinking maybe 2.

Could you tell me why this wouldn't work?

First off I haven't kept discus yet, I'm working on getting some for my 90 but from what I understand a 29 just wouldn't work because there isn't enough space. A good rule of thumb is about 10 gallons per discus and since they are a schooling fish you really shouldn't have any less then 5, making a 55 gallon the smallest tank you'd want to put discus in. Plus due to them being fairly sensitive to water quality the smaller volume of the tank would cause the water to go fowl quicker meaning you'd have to do water changes maybe every couple days just to make sure the water is clean. But again I am not an expert, these are just things that I have learned in my quest for discus. I hope I've helped you out, and maybe someone will reaffirm what I've said, or maybe correct me if I'm wrong.

firstly imagine a dinner plate swimming in your tank.

secondly discus sgould be kept in groups of 5+ because of aggression with 2 one will be killed.

Thanks, just wanted to know why it wouldn't work. I hate one word responses.

Yeh, not a good idea to have less than 5.

Even with 5, I have one that is bullied quite badly. I would take it out, but then I'd have 4, and the fighting would be worse etc etc etc

Most reactions

Back