Discus Appears To Have Fin Rot, What Do I Do!?

Jay-93

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Basically I have bought a bigger tank for my Discus, so the water is roughly 80% new water!

However, one of my Discus has fin rot and while i thought it being introduced to so much new water, the infection would stop, but it hasn't. What do you recommend I do in order to clear this up! Its the first time Ive had a health problem with my Discus and I really don't want to lose her!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

It appears to be fin rot anyway. Ragged fins with white cloudy cotton wool-like lumps on dorsal and pectoral fins.

Pleased this wasn't an urgent problem I'm having!

Not yet, I wasn't sure if medication would be possible, with Discus known to be sensitive fish. I wouldn't know which brand of medication would be effective/reliable either.

Would fin rot include the white cotton wool like blotches on the edge of the fins? Or could it be another bacterial infection?

Thank you, I'll look into Melafix when I go to my LFS tomorrow.

Should I take the fish out into her own tank when I treat her? The rest of my fish are perfectly fine..

I'm having good results with Esha2000 in my 5x2x2, which included treating for minor fin rot.

Sounds like you could have finrot, now with normal secondary fungal infection. Again Esha2000 treats many bacterial and fungal issues, plus it can always be treated alongside Esha Exit to treat Ich and similar infectins at the same time.

I've bought something called 'eSHa HEXAMITA'. Says on the box that it is a Discus Disease Treatment. The guy didn't have melafix in stock so I went for this. Its in the second day of the medication, theres no signs of improvement yet..

Anyone else used this?

I do not have discus so I don't know if this is a good treatment, but sounds like you are dealing with the same problems I am having right now. I am using Interpet Fin Rot and Fungus treatment on my tank (which are guppies). Its supposed to show some improvement after about 3 days.

Im hoping so. Ive put my Discus on her own and put a more concentrated dosage in. (It says I can double or treble the dosage in severe cases, and this infection is pretty bad on her), so Im hoping this will work!

Good luck with your guppies! :)

Some of my remaining guppies are showing improvements after 2 days, some more than others so hoping its now working and I can save my last 10!

Good luck with your discus.

I think the stuff you've bought is a parasite treatment and therefore won't help with your finrot problem.

You should maybe continue the parasite treatment since you've started it though :/ not sure.

Interpet makes all sorts of medications, this way is number 8, definately fungus and fin rot treatment.
This is the one, for anyone curious. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/interpet-fungus-finrot-100ml-25609

I think the stuff you've bought is a parasite treatment and therefore won't help with your finrot problem.

You should maybe continue the parasite treatment since you've started it though :/ not sure.

Yes it does mention parasites, however it says it can combat a variety of other diseases, 'including fungus, fin rot and dropsy'.

Interpet makes all sorts of medications, this way is number 8, definately fungus and fin rot treatment.
This is the one, for anyone curious. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/interpet-fungus-finrot-100ml-25609

Im sure I used the Ich treatment from this range of medication, did the trick! :)

Most reactions

Back