Difference between Ich and Epistylis?

Kyanite14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t have any issues in my tank, I’m just curious. I’ve seen photos of ich and epistylis side by side, but I just can’t tell the difference. In addition, are they both parasites? If so, then why do people online suggest treating epistylis with antibiotics?

Ich is little round white spots, all the same size and shape.
Epistylis is little irregular whitish tufts. Epistylis is not a fish parasite. It’s a protozoan that eats bacteria, and if it’s on the skin of a fish it means the fish has a bacterial skin infection. Treat the bacterial infection and the epistylis will leave the fish.

Epistylis is little irregular whitish tufts. Epistylis is not a fish parasite. It’s a protozoan that eats bacteria, and if it’s on the skin of a fish it means the fish has a bacterial skin infection. Treat the bacterial infection and the epistylis will leave the fish.
Do you happen to have side by side photos?

If you do a google search for ich most pictures are actually epistylis, which only adds to the confusion.

Ich is clearly defined round raised spots as in these three pics…

FEB015FC-2061-47EC-A98D-965AD6E24C56.jpeg
13399F22-CA0E-4195-B872-10F76D91D606.jpeg
584A3E4C-8D1F-4BBD-AE67-452376E5962A.jpeg

Epistylis…

0DF99DD0-967F-4A6A-9955-9A918367A2DD.jpeg
16DF47D6-4B84-4428-968F-E5FA91AB9A0C.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s so much more clear thanks. By any chance? Does the malachite green or formalin stuff they use to treat ich effective at all for epistylis? I only ask because this pet store I go to always uses that when they see white spots even if they look like the bottom photos.

Ich treatments will kill epistylis, but the bacterial infection is the main thing that needs treated. Epistylis is present in most tanks, and can kill fish, but it’s a secondary infection that won’t attach to a fish without a bacterial infection.

Ok, that makes sense. The store has been having a lot of issues with ich (and possibly epistylis) maybe bringing this up could help.

From Trichodonella, T., 2003. Protozoan Parasites.
http://wildlife.tamu.edu/files/2010/04/6_Protozoan_Parasites.pdf

Epistylis and Heteropolaria

The protozoan parasites Epistylis and Heteropolaria are very similar. They are single-celled, but live in stalked colonies (Fig. 9). The branching stalks are rigid and do not contract; the cells at the ends of the stalks are called zooids. They contain cilia around the oral opening and contract when feeding. Epistylis or Heteropolaria colonies on fish resemble white tufts of fungus (Fig. 10), but can be differentiated from fungus by microscopic examination. These parasites are usually found on the skin and fins. The base of the stalk attaches to a hard, calcified surface such as scales and fin rays or spines.

Epistylis and Heteropolaria reproduce by budding and form a teletroch or motile juvenile stage. The teletroch produces a stalk and uses it to attach to an existing colony. Epistylis is often an ectocommensal in that it simply attaches to the fish and feeds on environmental debris such as bacteria. Poor quality water encourages the growth of Epistylis on fish.

These parasites can weaken and kill fish. Ulcers caused by Epistylis infections may make fish more vulnerable to bacterial infections. For example, red sore disease involves the combination of Aeromonas bacteria and Epistylis.

The classic treatment for Epistylis and Heteropolaria infections is uniodized salt (sodium chloride).

None of the fish in post 4 have Epistylis. The top group look like white spot, the bottom pics look like a smaller species of white spot. There's a number of species of white spot and they are all treated the same way (heat - 30C, Malachite Green, or copper).

Epistylis has stalks about 2-3mm long and little tufts on top. It looks a bit like fluff and can be treated with salt (1 to 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water).

Epistylis is not common in aquariums but is common in large outdoor ponds that aren't cleaned/ water changed regularly. They are commonly seen on shrimp and crustaceans farmed in dams.

So far there is only one species of whitespot.
None of the fish in post 4 have Epistylis. The top group look like white spot, the bottom pics look like a smaller species of white spot. There's a number of species of white spot and they are all treated the same way (heat - 30C, Malachite Green, or copper).

Epistylis has stalks about 2-3mm long and little tufts on top. It looks a bit like fluff and can be treated with salt (1 to 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water).

Epistylis is not common in aquariums but is common in large outdoor ponds that aren't cleaned/ water changed regularly. They are commonly seen on shrimp and crustaceans farmed in dams.
So far there is only one species of whitespot, and the pictures of epistylis in post 4 are definitely not it. Unless Colin_T can provide links to support his claims of course.
Epistylis can be seen as “small colony” or “large colony” epistylis, which look totally different. The pictures in post 4 are “large colony epistylis”.

How would you treat the bacterial infection? I read powder antibiotics can harm the BB & one should feed foods containing antibiotics. I have never seen antibiotic foods, but saw several recipes online. Are you saying epi is very rare in tanks & more commonly found in bodies of water? Fascinating!

How would you treat the bacterial infection? I read powder antibiotics can harm the BB & one should feed foods containing antibiotics. I have never seen antibiotic foods, but saw several recipes online. Are you saying epi is very rare in tanks & more commonly found in bodies of water? Fascinating!

Almost all bacterial diseases usually encountered in aquaria can be cured without antibiotics. I’ve used them about twice in 50 years, and once was in a shop. I use Waterlife Myxazin as a bactericide. Always have.

Epistylis is very common in tanks with low flow, or an area of low flow. It’s usually seen as white tufts on the glass in low flow areas.

Most reactions

Back