Did they have iCh

sushi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
WHat's ich. I've never heard of it here in new zealand.

I went to the lfs and their tank full of platties had a dead one and I noticed one of the platties had white furry/velvety looking stuff by it's head. Is this ich. What is ich?
Why do they get this white stuff. Naturally I went to the other pet store cause I dont' want to infect my community tank with diseases.

Here u go, ICH

diseas_f.gif

Ich is small, salt like grandulers on ur fishes body...the white cottony stuff is a fungus... 2 different illness 2 different cures.

when I first got my tank, i didnt' have a good enough filter and my fish (which were goldfish) got diseases. :byebye: A couple of them had white spots on their eyes. Others had the velvety stuff. WHat's the eye thing?
I have now got a big filter and healthy fish BTW :D

whats Not a good healthy filter???? I would really like to know.... Cause I had Fancy Gold fish for a year and one had a fungus on their skin got that taken care of. got one new fish and a sucker fish the new gold fish grew a big bump on its head and died threes weeks after getting the bump...then got two new fish put them in there the next day one of the new ones died and the rest got white spots got rid of that then they got the fungus again and started dieding one after the other the last one was my Fav... Shadow my sucker fish :rip: ...have no idea why he died........ now i have my guppys in that same tank after being cleaned very well and new filter thingy put in.....what would be a good filter... I have a 10g tank the one from wal-marts for $29.99 everything with it...got that almost two years ago now...
Thanks
Erin :/

if your fish have been fine for that long, they should be alright.
I have a 200L/3foot tank. I only had a very small sponge filter in it. Which probably did practically nothing in a tank the size of mine.
I didn't realize at the time how important it was to have a good filter, powerful enough to filter all the water.
I now have an "aquaone power filter"
I was the same. I spent about $100 on on fish. At between $3 and $6 each, that's a lot of fish over a period of time. They just kept dieing one after the other, like you said. Then my favourite one died. I'm in new zealand and I'd gone up north to Auckland (12 hour train ride). While up there I bought this tiny little orange and white fantail. I bought him back on the 12 hr ride in his little plastic bag. I thought he'd be dead when I woke up at my destination, but I looked in the bag and he was swimming around. I had him for about 4 years. He was always in little homes and I bought my new 3foot tank. Put him in there and he ended up dieing from the dirty water. I think it was probably a combo of disease and ammonia poisoning from all the poos. The moral is, I cried, he was call Mr. Fish :-( :-( . He wad about 3" long when he died, and I can honestly say he was the brightest, prettiest fantail I've ever seen :) .
So, I learnt a hard lesson :sad: . Out of the 13 fish I always had and the 50 or so I went through, one survived. I still have it now. It's called Mrs. fish. It's a blackmoore/nymph :rolleyes: .
Sorry to ramble on :*) . That's how I learnt that filters are important. But like I said, If your fish haven't died in a long time, they're probably fine. I'm really only a beginner and my powerfilter exp is new to me but I can safely say it does a really excellent job of keeping my tank water clean. I think that all filters work, just that you've gotta have the right size (big enough) for your tank.

Most reactions

Back