Did I just do something dumb

Is that the tank you are keeping your Betta in? (I mean the one in the pic with the airstone) If so it seems much to small for a betta. Bettas need at minimum a 3.5 gallon tank

Performing water changes on the cup of water is likely going to starve the bacteria of any ammonia (and nitrite). Why has this media been removed sorry? Is it carbon and you are using meds?

Is that the tank you are keeping your Betta in? (I mean the one in the pic with the airstone) If so it seems much to small for a betta. Bettas need at minimum a 3.5 gallon tank
Oh, no i think theyre attempting to keep some BB alive on some (carbon) filter media

I am curious though... what exactly are you guys working so hard for to try to save whatever nitrifying bacteria are on the carbon for? What do you imagine is going to happen if you just... didn't bother?

Beneficial bacteria is far more resilient than what people think.

First they are protected by a thin but strong membrane, so it takes quite a lot to remove bacteria that has established on surfaces.

Secondary, if bacteria has no food like ammonia for a while, from a few days to a week or two depending, the bacteria simply goes dormant and stays dormant until a source of nutrients or food is present again, they will then ‘wake’ up and become active once more. However if left for too long in their dormant state, depending on conditions, they can actually survive for weeks fairly easily as long as they are not dried out but in water that’s not exposed to extreme cold or heat.

So as you may gather, it takes quite a lot to kill off lots of beneficial bacteria.

Still not worth chancing it too much but for your peace of mind, chances are, the beneficial bacteria will be perfectly fine.

Beneficial bacteria is far more resilient than what people think.

First they are protected by a thin but strong membrane, so it takes quite a lot to remove bacteria that has established on surfaces.

Secondary, if bacteria has no food like ammonia for a while, from a few days to a week or two depending, the bacteria simply goes dormant and stays dormant until a source of nutrients or food is present again, they will then ‘wake’ up and become active once more. However if left for too long in their dormant state, depending on conditions, they can actually survive for weeks fairly easily as long as they are not dried out but in water that’s not exposed to extreme cold or heat.

So as you may gather, it takes quite a lot to kill off lots of beneficial bacteria.

Still not worth chancing it too much but for your peace of mind, chances are, the beneficial bacteria will be perfectly fine.
When we remove carbon from a filter when using meds.. wouldn't it be ok kept in the tank water? As doesn't activated carbon require a flow of water across it in order for it to function?

Active carbon in my opinion should really only be used for removing meds or containment’s from the water column in one tank.

Once it has been used, it will soon become inert and will start leaching the same meds and containment’s back into the water again.

Normally I would throw the used carbon away and buy more as it’s not particularly expensive to purchase anyway.

Carbon should really be kept in storage should you require it to remove anything from the water column in the tank.

Although carbon, once inert, CAN certainly be used as filter media for beneficial bacteria if you want to, no difference to ceramic media really.

Haha no that’s just for the filter carbon. My betta is in a 3.5 but will be moving up to a 5 gallon once he’s better

Hey everybody, thank you so much for all the input. I’m still new at this hobby and learning more from this forum which I am so grateful for.
When I bought my bettas and tanks, I knew very little. I thought the carbon filter was awesome and didn’t know anything about all the other awesome bio media and things that are better for beneficial bacteria. The only other media I have in Moon’s tank is a sponge and then I actually took some of the ceramic bio rings in a media bag I had in another cycled tank and put them in there. So after reading everyone’s comments, maybe I should just throw away the old carbon filter and just buy some more carbon when I’m done with the treatment to remove any medication? Or is it worth keeping? Or are we split on which I should do and I just need to make a decision lol!

What brand and model filter is it ?
It’s a top fin filter that came with the Top fin 3.5 gallon Enchant tank. How long should I put in carbon once the treatment is done to remove the medication? And once it’s done, is just regular Fluval sponge okay to replace it?

Most reactions

Back