Did I just do something dumb

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’m treating one of my bettas for fin rot and removed the carbon filter. I didn’t want to lose the bacteria so I was able to put the filter in another tank. But did I just spread the bad bacteria causing the fin rot into a perfectly healthy tank -.-

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. Remove the cartridge from the tanks it’s in now immediately, and put it in a small clean cup. (This is temporary)

Preform an emergency 75% water change in the tank that the cartridge was in.

What fish species are in the other tank?

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality. Remove the cartridge from the tanks it’s in now immediately, and put it in a small clean cup. (This is temporary)

Preform an emergency 75% water change in the tank that the cartridge was in.

What fish species are in the other tank?
Ok wait I’m confused. So the healthy tank that the bad cartridge is in, take it out and do a water change on the healthy tank? On the other post, I thought you said it was okay to put it other tank?

Ok wait I’m confused. So the healthy tank that the bad cartridge is in, take it out and do a water change on the healthy tank? On the other post, I thought you said it was okay to put it other tank?
I wasn’t thinking that the cartridge may have bad bacteria in it.

Preform a water change on the healthy tank, and remove the filter cartridge from it.

Do you have an airstone?

I wasn’t thinking that the cartridge may have bad bacteria in it.

Preform a water change on the healthy tank, and remove the filter cartridge from it.

Do you have an airstone?
Okay doing that now. What are the chances I infected the tank :( there is another healthy betta in there and a snail

Okay doing that now. What are the chances I infected the tank :( there is another healthy betta in there and a snail
The chances are very slim, because you had it in there for such a little time. The water change should clear everything up.

Do you have a small airstone? If not, you need to preform a water change I the cup every 24 hours, to provide the beneficial bacteria with fresh oxygen.

The chances are very slim, because you had it in there for such a little time. The water change should clear everything up.

Do you have a small airstone? If not, you need to preform a water change I the cup every 24 hours, to provide the beneficial bacteria with fresh oxygen.
Yes I have a small one so I’ll do that. How should I provide it ammonia?

Don't panic, you didn't do anything wrong.

Fin rot isn't caused by a specific "bad bacteria" that is present in the one tank and not the other. All of our tanks contain different bacteria, fungal spores etc, it's just that usually they don't present a problem unless there's a weakness in the fish that lets it in you know? You're not introducing some rare pathogen to your 'healthy' tank, it's likely in there already.

Think of it like this... you're doing some gardening, or playing around in the dirt in your backyard. Not a problem usually, since your skin protects you from all the bacteria in the soil. But if you have an open wound, and the dirt gets into that, you're likely to get a bacterial infection.

Fin rot, like a lot of bacterial and fungal infections, is a secondary infection. Usually the fish has been in poor water quality, the fins start to get tiny tears and the fishes immune system is weaker because it's stressed by the water parameters already. Bacteria that were always present, now infect the fins, because there's an opening there and the fishes immune system can't fight off the infection the way a healthier, non-stressed fish in cleaner water might.

So keep the water as immaculate as you can. Medicate the fin rot if the infection is bad enough that clean water and salt treatment are no longer enough. Your healthy tank is fine, as long as you've kept up with maintenance and the fish are healthy.

Don't panic, you didn't do anything wrong.

Fin rot isn't caused by a specific "bad bacteria" that is present in the one tank and not the other. All of our tanks contain different bacteria, fungal spores etc, it's just that usually they don't present a problem unless there's a weakness in the fish that lets it in you know? You're not introducing some rare pathogen to your 'healthy' tank, it's likely in there already.

Think of it like this... you're doing some gardening, or playing around in the dirt in your backyard. Not a problem usually, since your skin protects you from all the bacteria in the soil. But if you have an open wound, and the dirt gets into that, you're likely to get a bacterial infection.

Fin rot, like a lot of bacterial and fungal infections, is a secondary infection. Usually the fish has been in poor water quality, the fins start to get tiny tears and the fishes immune system is weaker because it's stressed by the water parameters already. Bacteria that were always present, now infect the fins, because there's an opening there and the fishes immune system can't fight off the infection the way a healthier, non-stressed fish in cleaner water might.

So keep the water as immaculate as you can. Medicate the fin rot if the infection is bad enough that clean water and salt treatment are no longer enough. Your healthy tank is fine, as long as you've kept up with maintenance and the fish are healthy.
Okay, thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it

I just don’t think the comment was necessary. It was rude lol...
It was an in-joke between PK and I, something we joked about on another thread. But don't worry, I'll avoid your threads from now on. I won't waste my time like that again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 58

Most reactions

Back