Detailed Information On Bristlenose Type Plecostomus

PlecostomusPerson

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have recently been looking at the Ancistrus Plecostomus and a few other types of Bristlenose or Bearded and I thought I would make a more article type list, far more detailed then the "12 Plecostomus That Will Blow..... Your..... Tank!" Anyways I will explain the Plecostomus natural habitat, and a bit of information then usual, I will not have pictures due to me not being able to get them, so sorry, I will also include; their size (cm), pH, if a water current is needed (Y/N), Herbivore/Carnivore/Wood/Omnivore, if they need a piece of wood in the aquarium, their needed temperature (Celsius), difficulty (IMO), their Origin, and a few facts on breeding. I will not include a minimum sized aquarium, due to so many opinions... that are all correct.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genus Ancistrus                                                                                                       

Ancistrus claro also known as the "Gold-marbled Plecostomus", LDA08, these are very very beautiful Plecostomus, the males are multi-colored, wild-ones being more colorful than the tank-raised. They are from the upper Rio Paraguay drainage. They get anywhere from 10-11 cm, and are herbivores, they do not require wood to be in their aquarium, and need a good current. They need the pH level to be from 6-8.with the temperature around 23-29C. When breeding, they will lay around 40 large eggs and after consumption of yolk sac, they can be reared using food tablets and green foods. They have a very slow growth rate and are well suited for smaller aquariums. I will give them a 1; Easy breeders, small aquariums, and are quite beautiful.

Ancistrus dolichopterus also known as the "Starlight Bristlenose", L-183, these Plecostomus are known for their white spots and white edging's around the dorsal fin. They originated from the Rio Negro river system. They grow to a size of 30 cm, they are herbivores, require a piece of wood in their aquarium, and  they do not need a current. They prefer acidic waters with a pH from 4-6, with the temperature from 24-29C. They need soft-acidic water, when breeding. They are very picky about their spawning cave's and lay up to 100 eggs. Very tricky to breed. After hatched they can be reared using flakes and plankton tablets. These Plecostomus are sexually mature at 8-12 cm and are usually imported-in around that size. I have to give them a 3, they are hard to breed, very picky, but mature quickly and lay many eggs.

Ancistrus multispinis also known as the "White-girdled Bristlenose", these Plecostomus  are known for their girdle at the base of the caudal fin. They are lightly blue. They are imported from the smaller coastal rivers south-east of Brazil. They grow no larger than 17 cm, they are herbivores, and they do not require wood, and do not need a current. They need a neutral pH from 6-8 and a temperature from 18-24C. Not difficult at all to breed, with a low temperature, yet no reports of breeding till date. They are a 2, very easy to care for, but no information on breeding.

Ancistrus pirareta like their name, they are known as "the Pirareta Bristlenose", LDA53, they are one of the most imported Bristlenose Plecostomus, are suitable for beginners and can survive in an un-heated aquarium. They originate from the Rio Paraguay systems. They can grow as big as 18 cm, they are herbivores, require a piece of wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH from 6-8 with a temperature anywhere from 20-30C. Mature at 7 cm and are easy to breed, the eggs and juveniles are very small and can be reared using food tablets and green foods. They are a 1, for being the most imported and easy bred.

Ancistrus ranunculus also known as "Tadpole Bristlenose", L-034, the males of this species have very thick "tentacles", are a dark blue color and are also known as the "Medusa Plecostomus". They are in the low and middle courses of the Rio Xingu. They max out at a size from 15-20 cm, they are omnivores, do not require wood, and need a current. They need a pH from 5-7 and a temperature from 26-30C. Not many breeding reports, but they need many hiding places and caves, and the young grow quickly. A 2, not many breeding reports, but young grow quickly.

Ancistrus "Common Bristlenose Plecostomus". Their origination can no longer be confirmed. Sadly their are not many wild versions left due to captive-bred mixes, albinism, black-eyes, and inbreeding. They are herbivores, require a piece of wood, and do not need a current. Fully grown at 15 cm. They require a pH from 6-8 and a temperature from 22-27C. They are the easiest to breed, being able to accept any cave, laying 200 yellowish eggs and are brooded by the male, and can be reared using green foods, food tablets, or flakes. They are if anything below 1, they are very easy to breed, lay many eggs, and the eggs need very little attention, but they are very slow when it comes to growth.

Ancistrus sp. also known as "the Honeycomb Bristlenose", incorrectly called L-089. These Plecostomus are from Brazil with no precise location. They are herbivores, require wood in the aquarium, do not need a current, and are fully grown from 10-12 cm. They need a pH from 5.5-7.5 and a temperature from 25-29C. They are easy to breed and it can be achieved in main water, it is the normal Bristlenose manner. The juveniles are colored with a honeycomb type pattern and light edging around the caudal fin, as they grow it is thinned-out. They are a 1, due to easy breeding and beautiful coloring.

Ancistrus sp. they are also known as "White-spotted Bristlenose", L-071, L-181, & L-249, they are in the middle and lower Amazon river system. They get to a size of 12-15 cm, they are herbivores, require wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH from 5-8 and a temperature from 22-27C. They are very similar to the Ancistrus dolichopterus, with a little less edging. These Plecostomus do not get as big as they do in the wild. Very easy to breed in soft to medium-hard mains water (no modification in water chemistry), the number of eggs depends on the parent fish, anywhere from 40-50 eggs can be laid, which can be reared using food tablets, fine frozen foods, and green foods. They are a 1, being able to breed them, but you will not know the amount of eggs you get.

Ancistrus sp. also known as "Brilliant Bristlenose Plecostomus", L-107 & L-184, they are from the Rio Demini. They grow to a size of 30 cm, are herbivores, need wood in the aquarium, and do not need a current. They require a pH from 5.5-7.5 and a temperature from 25-29C. They are a very beautiful species with large white spots and extensions to the rays. They breed in soft acidic water and lay a maximum of 50-60 large eggs. The young can be reared using flake food, food tablets, nauplii, and vegetable foods. I say a 2, they stay small in aquariums and stay the same throughout life. 

Ancistrus sp. Rio "Paraguay" also named "Red-spotted Plecostomus", they originate from obviously,..... Paraguay, but no precise location. They grow to a size from 12-13 cm, they are herbivores, require wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH from 6-8 and a temperature from 23-27C. They are very un-demanded and are highly recommended, due to them not growing large. They are attractively colored brownish-red. They are very easy to breed. Usually laying 20-30 eggs, but larger ones laying 50 eggs. The fry are small and usually un-pigmented. Rearing can be used with food tablets and green foods. I say they are a 2, due to their attractiveness, but they can be un-pigmented.

Ancistrus sp. "Rio Ucayali" also known as "Gold-speckled Bristlenose", also incorrectly identified as Ancistrus leucostictus, these Plecostomus are from Rio Ucayali in the Peruvian Amazon region. They grow as big as 20 cm, are herbivores, require wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH from 6-8 and a temperature from 24-29C. They are easy to breed as long as it is in main non-hard waters. They lay a clutch from 70-120 eggs. The eggs hatch after 3-4 days and can be reared using food tablets, green foods, and fine frozen foods. The young, have a very attractive coloration, consisted of orange spots. They are a 1, they lay many eggs with rarely any problems.

Ancistrus triradiatus also known as "the Three-rayed Bristlenose". They originate in the upper Rio Meta river system. They grow to a size of 12 cm, are herbivores, require wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH of 6-8 and a temperature from 25-29C. The name is from the morphological peculiarity, which causes the three rays on the anal fin. They are also the most shipped Plecostomus out of Columbia. They are very productive at breeding, the young specimens even lay around 100 eggs and can be reared using food tablets and vegetable foods. Juveniles usually lack the light caudal-fin edging, which is un-like other Bristlenose. I will give them a 1 also, due to their easy productivity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genus Delturus                                                                                                                   

Delturus sp. also known as "Brook Plecostomus", LDA40 & L-238. They are from the Rio Pianco in the Sao Francisco system. They grow to 18 cm, are herbivores, do not require wood, and require a current. They need a pH level from 6-8 and a temperature from 25-29C. They are very easy to keep, but are quite rare in the trade. They are peaceful fish and love green foods. Both sexes have bristles around the snout and there are no breeding reports. It is a 2, they have no breeding information, but are very peaceful.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genus Dolichancistrus                                                                                                                

Dolichancistrus cf. setosus also known as "Bearded mountain-stream Plecostomus", L-225. They are imported from Columbia, but no precise location. they grow to 10 cm, are herbivores, do not require wood, and require a current. They will need a pH from 6-8 and a temperature from 23-27C. These Plecostomus lay 35-60 eggs in a cave dug my the male, he then assiduously for several days until the eggs hatch. Rear the eggs on food tablets and green foods, they have a very slow growth. It is a 1, for its small size and easy sexual dimorphism.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genus Isorineloricaria                                                                                                 

Isorineloricaria/Hypostomus spinosissima also known as "Zucchini Plecostomus", they originated in waters near Guayaquil in Ecuador. They get to a size of 60 cm, they are herbivores, need wood, and do not need a current. They need a pH from 6-8 with a temperature from 23-27C. They are one of the rarest Plecostomus and really never imported, they are also one of the most bizarre and un-usual looking Plecostomus. They are a 3, because of their rarity and length.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genus Pseudancistrus                                                                                                      

Pseudancistrus sp. also known as "Yellow-edged bearded Plecostomus", L-067 & sold as L-017. They come from the lower course of the Rio Xingu. They grow to about 25 cm, are herbivores, need a current, and do not need wood. They need a pH from 5-7 and a temperature from 26-30C. There is no breeding reports for the Plecostomus. It was given two names due to a similar Plecostomus Hopliancistrus sp. getting confused with this one. It is a 5, if they do not have the right conditions they will stop growing IMMEDIATELY!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too every species on here there are a few more that are apart of the family, in the future I will add only a list.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you all got some use from the information from my article list. Please comment if you can and if it a little too long or not enough info,... do tell. Thank You! And remember I always get information from certain books and a well-built knowledge.  
online2long.gif

Most reactions

Back