Design Help Please..........

Stampos

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the final stages of planning a new tank and I'm stuck on weir positioning. The tank will be 28Lx28Wx13.5H

First of all I wanted a full length weir, which to me is the most pleasing to the eye, as in this picture:

DSC00349.jpg

My concerns with this design is that it intrudes into the depth of the tank and limits swimming space for fish - does it take away gallonage as well?

The second option is a corner weir, which I find less attractive but takes up the minimum amount of space:

DSC_0027%20(2).jpg

I could hide this into the background as shown but it seems to take away from the aesthetics of the tank?

Please could you give me your thoughts as to what you prefer and why? I'm ordering on Thursday so need to decide! :good:

Thanks,

Simon

I have a corner weir, my reef scape is designed to cover it in the back corner so its unnoticeable, as well as this it leaves the tank open. although im sure you wouldnt notice the full lenght though, it sounds like youve decided to be fair as you dont like the corner weir seems obv to go for the full one, i wouldnt think it removes any water space as the weir volume is filled with water too.

Another option is centre wier. But unless you going to put rock up against it, it does stand out. I like back wier. Are you able to cut back glass. If so, you could add a external overflow on back if that makes sense. This way you don't lose any tank space and being a full wier it will be silent.

OOH also meant to add, i actually used the corner weir as a support for my reefscaope up one corner, imo it looks really cool, i like the idea of a central weir, leaves the sides of the glass free to cleqan easily too, thats a downside with a corner 3weir as my rock work is close to the glass its awkward to clean it.

Well I have corner weir but then the tank is in a corner so the weir is never viewed from the side, but I have to say in black acrylic it's pretty much hidden when you view the tank from the front.

Thanks guys :)

I'm leaning more and more to the full length as I remember finding a corner weir a pain to clean on my old 5ft tank.

That said at this shallow depth even a corner weir will be simpler!

I like the idea of a central weir, it would leave me space either side to place powerheads and help to disguise them. I need to decide by Thursday as that's when I'm placing my order - then 4-5 weeks of torture waiting!

Simon

Most reactions

Back