Deltec Protein Skimmer

maccers

Reaction score
Eventually got round to filling tank with RO water and salt (how long does that take?!). Added £200 of live rock, installed powerheads (2of), got main filter running.

I have installed a Deltec Multi Compact MC500 Protein Skimmer, thats hangs on the edge of the tank (Rio 180) but sits inside the tank.

The instructions are very good, and diagrams. The only problem i seem to have is the collection cup fills up with bubbles (that eventually settle to tank water) within aprox 20 seconds of turning on the skimmer at the mains.

I understand the concept of protein skimming, but not sure if I have purchased the correct unit for the size of tank. I would love to have an external sump for it, but there is no room in my setup for that, so it sits in the tank.

The bubbles eventually spray out the hole at the top of the collection cup after a minute or so covering the wall in water.

Is this normal in a new set up? The tank was filled with RO water and Tropic Marin salt (1.021 @ 25 degrees) 5 days ago, the live rock added at the same time to mature the filter. There are no fish in the tank at the moment.

Any help would be great.

RM.

have you got a valve on the pump? i just got a new skimmer too and it was pumping too high so it just gave out loads of bubbles turning into water.

Hi,

I have had a slightly simular issue, which I got round by lifting the cup higher in the unit so the foam isnt immediately flowing over the edge, reducing buble flow also helps via the value. Additionally I have noticed if I fill or position the whole skimmer too close to the maximum water level mark, then its instant over flow.

Hope this help.

:)

Agreed. Although I've never used your specific model of skimmer, there SHOULD be a valve on the skimmer plumbing somewhere that allows you to restrict the flow of the water and raise or lower the water level in your skimmer. You'll need to play with this valve to find the right setting for your tank

I had this problem too - I searched on google for "deltec mc500 micro bubbles" coz I was having that problem and I found a message from Deltec, they say they have had numerous people asking about these problems and they say it is due to immature water on a new set up .... the solution is to turn the skimmer off for a few days/week until water matures and this should resolve. I did this and it now seems okay.

Most reactions

Back