Decided to get Kevin a friend and need help!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes they are still going to be in the same tank. I will look into that but I still don't quite understand why I would need to buy a whole other filter and heater for 3.5 gallons of water. I will keep her clean and test the water all the time but I simply cannot afford to do that. Also- I have seen plenty of bettas share the same water, females at that. She doesn't show signs of stress and he has calmed down his flaring but I know he still doesn't like her. What is the problem with them sharing the same water?
I explained all of this the other day in this thread. If you scroll up, you will see it. I really cannot explain in more detail than I already have. I understand you've been misinformed by YouTube, but if you can't afford to sort the tank out for your fish to thrive, you'll have to rehome her

I explained all of this the other day in this thread. If you scroll up, you will see it. I really cannot explain in more detail than I already have. I understand you've been misinformed by YouTube, but if you can't afford to sort the tank out for your fish to thrive, you'll have to rehome her
Um- I have had plenty of healthy fish (especially bettas) who have "thrived" without a filter. I take care of my fish and if I have to clean her everyday I will. But I am a minor, I don't have a job and I am not going to make my mom spend money on stuff that I know is not required, especially for such a fish. I never said I won't get one eventually but I won't get one now. If I find the need to rehome her I will but I know bettas do great without a filter.

I understand the "hormones". What I don't understand is how that stresses her out. She has been around him this entire time and hasn't been stressed at all, she just swims and eats and watches me when I walk by.

Um- I have had plenty of healthy fish (especially bettas) who have "thrived" without a filter. I take care of my fish and if I have to clean her everyday I will. But I am a minor, I don't have a job and I am not going to make my mom spend money on stuff that I know is not required, especially for such a fish. I never said I won't get one eventually but I won't get one now. If I find the need to rehome her I will but I know bettas do great without a filter.

I understand the "hormones". What I don't understand is how that stresses her out. She has been around him this entire time and hasn't been stressed at all, she just swims and eats and watches me when I walk by.
Not having a filter isn't the point i'm making. Please scroll up and read our previous conversation. The information to help your situation is there :) I've only offered advice from knowledge and experience which you have asked for, I cannot force anybody to be receptive. I can understand that this hobby is very expensive which is why the suggestions I have made are the cheapest aswell as best for the fish. Remember that fish being stressed isn't something you can spot right away and it can cause deterioration over time, they can't verbally communicate with us to tell us if they're 'happy or not.

So fish release hormones into the water for several different reasons, I won't be discussing all of them because it would take a really really long time. The hormones in question are the hormones fish release when they want to mate. The male betta fish will almost always be ready to mate, as long as it doesn't have a bubble nest with eggs. The female on the other hand requires conditioning and a certain set of circumstances to be ready to mate. Since fish release their hormones directly into the water, even if there is a divider it has to completely seal off the two sides or the fishes hormones will mix. When the female senses the males mating hormones she becomes stressed if she is not ready to mate, and can develop serious health problems. This happens because a male betta can and often will beat up a female until she mates with him, and that can often result in death.
Hope this helped, let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know

Not having a filter isn't the point i'm making. Please scroll up and read our previous conversation. The information to help your situation is there :) I've only offered advice from knowledge and experience which you have asked for, I cannot force anybody to be receptive. I can understand that this hobby is very expensive which is why the suggestions I have made are the cheapest aswell as best for the fish. Remember that fish being stressed isn't something you can spot right away and it can cause deterioration over time, they can't verbally communicate with us to tell us if they're 'happy or not.
I understand. I just felt like you were being really rude. But I could be wrong. I want the best for Aurora and I will do what I can for her. I will never be perfect, it took months for my main tank to be fixed and ready. I will try my best.

So fish release hormones into the water for several different reasons, I won't be discussing all of them because it would take a really really long time. The hormones in question are the hormones fish release when they want to mate. The male betta fish will almost always be ready to mate, as long as it doesn't have a bubble nest with eggs. The female on the other hand requires conditioning and a certain set of circumstances to be ready to mate. Since fish release their hormones directly into the water, even if there is a divider it has to completely seal off the two sides or the fishes hormones will mix. When the female senses the males mating hormones she becomes stressed if she is not ready to mate, and can develop serious health problems. This happens because a male betta can and often will beat up a female until she mates with him, and that can often result in death.
Hope this helped, let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know
That makes sense. I will try my best to find something to work- thank you.

what do i do? i want to keep her, i have grown attached to her. can i get something to split the tank in half and have her live with my male betta?
Even with a split tank, they can sense the hormones in the water and be stressed. I suggest getting her a small tank of her own (5gallons at least).

I understand. I just felt like you were being really rude. But I could be wrong. I want the best for Aurora and I will do what I can for her. I will never be perfect, it took months for my main tank to be fixed and ready. I will try my best.
I apologise for any misunderstanding, I mean only the best intentions for you and your fish and my explanations have come across abrupt. Difficult to explain things in this format without tone of voice and body language to use with typing (cue emoji's) :rofl: I've noticed things are easily misinterpreted here sometimes, I'm sorry for that

I hope the information that I've attempted to explain has helped some what. Hope everything works out perfectly, keep us updated :)

Most reactions

Back