Dechlorinator

vix

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Which brand do you use? I'm looking purchase some more, and was wondering what the recommendations would be, i would like to buy larger bottles than the 100ml i have been buying.

Thanks
Vix

tapsafe by bioactive i really like it

I use Seachem Prime.
  • removes chorine, chloramine and ammonia
  • detoxifies nitrite and nitrate
  • provides slime coat
It also uses an incredibly small amount to treat the water: 1 capful (5 mL) for each 50 gallons (200 L).

I use Seachem Prime.
  • removes chorine, chloramine and ammonia
  • detoxifies nitrite and nitrate
  • provides slime coat
It also uses an incredibly small amount to treat the water: 1 capful (5 mL) for each 50 gallons (200 L).
me too gazoo

Wow, that Seachem sounds amazing! I use Aquaplus, it gets the job done.

I use seachem prime. I would highly reccommend it. It only take two drops per gallon. Although the price tag looks higher for the same size bottle of something else, each bottle treats so much more it ends up actually being cheaper than anything else on the shelf. :good:

I've switched to Prime when I needed to replace my empty bottle of water conditioner (don't remember which one I had previously). No recommendation from the LFS or here, was simply standing in the LFS and reading the descriptions on the bottles and Prime sounded good. Might add that I'd just switched the media in my HOT filter to Matrix, made by the same company as Prime, and had read a little about Prime when I was doing my research on SeaChem web site. So far so good as my tanks don't appear to have suffered any during water changes. I like that it does so much with so little.

Tetra Aquasafe for me! It Removes Heavy Metals also!

I use Seachem Prime.

removes chorine, chloramine and ammonia
detoxifies nitrite and nitrate
provides slime coat

While the small amount that you need is good and so is the slime coat, Why would you need to detoxify Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Also, does it remove heavy metals? over time heavy metals can accumulate, and they are BAD.

Summary: Recommendations for use

Economical removal of chlorine only:

(API Tap Water Conditioner and Kent Chlorinex also bind heavy metals) API Tap Water Conditioner
Kent Chlorinex
Seachem ChlorGuard
Wardley Chlor Out

Removal of chlorine, heavy metals and slime coat protector:

API Stress Coat
Hagen/Nutrafin Aquaplus
Kent Pro Tech Coat FW
Kordon Novaqua
Waterlife Haloex

Complete removal of chlorine, chloramine and ammonia only (no other additives):

API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox
Kordon Amquel
Marineland BIO-Safe
Seachem AmGuard

Complete removal of chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, heavy metals and slime coat protector:

AquaScience Ultimate
Seachem Prime
Tetra AquaSafe

Protection against ammonia in a cycling tank:

API Ammo-Lock
AquaScience Ultimate
Kent Ammonia Detox
Kordon Amquel
Seachem Prime or AmGuard

Slime coat protection only:

Marineland BIO-Coat
Seachem StressGuard

The bad thing though is that they don't compare prices, which dechlorinators are cheapest?

For the most bang for your buck, go with Prime. Absolute dirt cheapest is mixing your own, with sodium thiosulfate. I get a pound for $4.25, it will dechlor from 30,000 to 150,000 gallons of water, depending on the concentration of chlorine & chloramine present.

The only problem with using sodium thiosulfate is that when it neuteralizes chloramine, it breaks the chlorine/ammonia biond, leaving you with ammonia. This isn't really a problem with a mature tank with good bio filtration, as long as you aren't doing more than around 25% water changes.

I use Prime in the winter, as the water is terrible here in the winter. In the summer I use Prime or sodium thiosulfate, depending on the tank & fish.

Most reactions

Back