Dead Guppy

How do I “stablise conditions in the tank & mature the filterâ€￾?

Does that stuff that you can put into your tank that speeds up the efficieny of your filter work?

The filter will mature by itself within three or four weeks, given you've already got fishes in there. Adding filter medium from another tank will also help, and there are "filter boosting" potions of various kinds you can buy from the aquarium shop. Some people find them useful, others don't. My advice would be simply to do a 25% water change every 2-3 days for the next two weeks, and after that a 25% or more water change every week. After a month the filter will have settled down.

As for stabilising the conditions, see my notes above for how to harden the water and raise the pH. Adding a calcareous substance like coral sand or "Calcium Plus" to the filter is probably the easiest and cheapest option, though you will need to clean the stuff regularly. You can also buy various potions that you add to each water change. Though more expensive, these are easy to use and work well.

Do you have an aquarium book? It's worth picking one up some time. Most "setting up your aquarium" type books will contain stuff on water chemistry and how to manage it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Neale

How do I “stablise conditions in the tank & mature the filterâ€￾?

Does that stuff that you can put into your tank that speeds up the efficieny of your filter work?

Got home yesterday and one of the platies had lost part of his tail fin - fin rot i was informed.

Took a water sample to the local Fish store and they told me that the Ammonia was at a dangerous level.

So last night i got a sucker thing to reove dirt from the gravel and i also did a 60 litre water change.
This morning no more deaths as yet! :good:

Also this morning 1 more fry turned up in a corner of the tank - thats 9 caught so far.

Most reactions

Back