• quite a bit

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • often

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters

squiremaster

Fishaholic
Reaction score
when I went to my LFS today to get Kuhli loaches, I saw a dead blood fin tetra in one of the aquariums. oh yeah I was meaning to ask if there was a difference in behavior with regular Kuhli loaches and black Kuhli loaches

generally i avoid lfs with dead fish in the tanks. ive got 3 or 4 good ones near me but ill go fish shopping once every 5or 6months

my locals have quite a large amount of dead fish, id say at least one in 50% of the tanks

i have recently stopped using All LFS and just buy from local breeders, or classifieds, works out cheaper and you get better quality fish

I have 5 stores near me, 8 if you count the three Walmarts - but I don't as I would never by fish from them they always have at least 2 dead per tank. So for the remaining 5 two of them are large chain stores, and I am hesitatnt to buy from them, one of the chains I would definaetly not by from as they seem to have a high death rate, the other chain isn't as bad but am still leary of them. The 3 mom and pop type stores are a little better, but again 2 of them I always see at least 1 dead fish in one or two of there tanks. The 3rd one is the only place I purchase fish from, I very rarley see dead fish, only on occasion, and on the very few occasions that I have seen a dead fish they are removing it straight away. So bottom line for me it really depends on which store I go to. I believe that to be true for all, it all depends on the store. Luckily I have a few to choose from and although I really only trust one of them for livestock, I still have at least 1 other one that I might consider getting livestock from.

i use a store called the lord morton garden centre near oswestry and they are fantastic when it comes to fish. they know what they are on about and they have a cold / tropical and marine tanks.

we also have a pets @ home in wrexham and i stay well away from there. every time i go in there there are always loads and i mean loads of dead fish.

chains are usually awful witk people who sit around a talk all day, my local petco has a niger trigger who commited suicide on a piece of live rock, for good reason as it was overcrowded with lots and lots of dead and alive chromises, frsh water is even better, get this. they have a compatibility chart and they put oscars with guppies in the selling tanks! and the mollys breed al the time, and the babys arent even looked after.

my lfs i have only seen 2 dead fish in 2-3 years. one was a very sickly angel in a hospital tank they coudnt save and the other was a kuhli loache caught in the filter on day

I rarely see dead fish at my LFS. I can't really blame them either. Because the fish are shipped and my LFS makes HUGE orders, and I find it very possible that stress could be the cause of death.

Also, we don't know the conditions of where the LFS buy the fish. I bet that where the were bought from the conditions were very cramped, and could have caught a disease or something.

in one lfs near me there is normally atleast one dead fish every time you go but i dont go there. another onei got to ive only ever seen 1 dead fish and it was a platy but thats the only dead or ill fish ive ever seen there so quite good.

I rarely see dead fish at my LFS. I can't really blame them either. Because the fish are shipped and my LFS makes HUGE orders, and I find it very possible that stress could be the cause of death.

Also, we don't know the conditions of where the LFS buy the fish. I bet that where the were bought from the conditions were very cramped, and could have caught a disease or something.

this is very true. The conditions that the fish are kept in prior to transport to the shop are far less than ideal. Sometimes it's not the LFS fault as they have ordered blindly from a supplier. I have seen whole shipments come in with ich, and the LFS can't do anything about it except order from another dubious supplier.

EDIT -

Dead fish are pretty inevitable. I work at an lfs and know how hard it is to keep the tanks clean and full of healthy fish. We do hourly checks and sometimes that isn't enough but there literally isn't time to do anymore.

We have 3 lfss - a PetCo, which is a big no-no for me, a small family run business who takes very good care of their fish, but the workers are not very kind, so I don't go in there much. The last one is a very good one - they NEVER have dead fish, and they must have at least 100 tanks, with lots of fish in each. They are also very kind there.

I agree, once you have so many tanks, its just really quite hard to take out EVERY dead fish. Not that I would know, but its just common sense. But still, when every tank was a dead fish, then that's just pure irresponsibility.

I'm glad to say my LFS has about 2 dead fish in about 10% of their tanks.

I agree that dead fish are inevitable, but some stores are much more diligent then others. Someone mentioned PetCo, and I would have to agree I would never buy fish from them simply because it seems that thier dead fish ratio is much higher then some of the other stores, same with Walmart. That being said, is it that thier dead fish ratio is truely higher or are the other stores just better at "hiding it", i.e. removing the dead fish before anyone sees it?

Most reactions

Back