Danios pregnancy help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My danios have been big/pregnant for a while but have not laid any eggs is there anything special that i need to do.

Attachments

• 15773937547309157664266792262993.jpg
    15773937547309157664266792262993.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 121
They usually lay once the light comes on. Feeding them a variety of good food for a few (3-14) days might trigger them into breeding. Live and frozen food is preferable if that is an option. Keep the temp from 72-82. If your not separating them to breeding tank would suggest adding some marbles or larger gravel to bottom of the aquarium to increase your egg hatch rate.
What is your male to female ratio? Do you see males chasing the females? The males get more golden when they are ready to breed.
Must say I am jealous! Want some regular finned leopard danio so much but only found one so far locally.

make sure you have a few males in the tank and do a 75% water change every day. hopefully the water changes will encourage the males to breed with the female.

make sure you have a few males in the tank and do a 75% water change every day. hopefully the water changes will encourage the males to breed with the female.
I agree about the water change but 75% seems a bit much, maybe more 5-20%?

I have 5 danios i think 3 females and 2 males and my males and very gold I thought that all males were gold did not know that they wanted to breed but they always chase each other and are very healthy but they are in a community tank. I love their fins they are so beautiful i found them at a local petstore. Thanks for the feedback.

Can i put my danios to breed alone in a four gallon in the morning and once they lay eggs i will take them out.

Yes although I would do that the evening before. Here is an informative video.
I do not use an influsoria culture because I have a good amount of microorganisms in my tank so can vacuum the mulm from under the gravel, put it in an empty pickle jar and pipette the microorganisms out for my fry. You can see them well against the rotting leaf in this picture(little white dots) also look for very tiny worms to suck in when feeding(might be able to make some out in the second pic).
DSCN4083.JPG
DSCN4077.JPG

Last edited:
When i transferred them to a breeding tank the female chases the male is that ok or should i put them back in my big tank.

He look plenty big enough and don't worry about the female chasing the male around

I've heard that they can pair with another but from my experience it doesn't seem to matter

They were spawning this morning but dont know if there are any eggs but the female has a lot smaller stomach than yesterday so im guessing that she did. Any tips for how to look for the eggs? What do they look like? Do they stick to moss?

Most reactions

Back