Daize's Planted Photo Journal - 64L 1Wpg Low Light

Thanks TallTree!

I've noticed my filter slowing down over the last few weeks :/  It's slowed to a trickle and the plants are hardly moving at all.
The filter is an Eheim 250 (2213).  I measured the flow rate on 29 October last year when it was brand new and the flow rate was 460lph.
Today is is just 225lph!
ohmy.png

I realised I've never cleaned the impeller so I figured out how to take it apart and gave it a good clean - still the flow rate is only 243lph.  I don't know why it has slowed so much, it's not like I have it packed full of media and I clean the thing every week so I can only think the motor itself is wearing out? ????

I assume you've checked the hoses and intake strainer and sometimes the sponges require more than a "gentle squeeze out or two" to rid them of a build up of crud
smile.png

Thanks Kirky.  There's a fair bit of brown crud lining the inside of the hoses but not so much as to impede flow, I think.  I keep the sponges meticulously clean.  I'll have to check the intake strainer, it's hidden at the back of the jungle so I haven't seen it in a while 
blush.png

I think the time has come for a bit of a sort-out....

I've been delighted with growth in this tank for the last few months but it's getting to the point where it looks overgrown, can't see the fish for the plants and algae is starting to make a comeback.  Again, I've overreached the limits of how many plants this tank can support.

This was the tank this morning, been a full week since last maintenance, not the best picture but you can probably see what I mean:
006_zps00a557f0.jpg

Time to start ripping out plants!

I pulled out quite a few crypts, a good deal of moss and some of the hygrophila polysperma but a lot more still needs to be done.  I didn't do all of it today because the tank was getting really murky due to all the disturbed substrate.

I was amazed at the roots on my crypt beckettii - they must spread over most of the tank!

008_zps4b367b2c.jpg

Those wires going into the tank belong to two extra filters which I was running stuffed with floss in an effort to clear up the water for the poor fish!

And then after clearing some nice space in the tank, I immediately filled it up again with new plants... :rolleyes:

Well after I started moving plants around, I couldn't stop... :rolleyes:

I started seeing elements of the tank that weren't really working and thinking of ways that I could improve them.  I've been tinkering a little each week and after another big overhaul today this is turning into a fairly major rescape!

The biggest change is that the mopani wooden 'arch' is gone.  I felt like it was taking up too much space, blocking the view and making the tank feel smaller.  I originally bought it as a plaything for the fish and I've really enjoyed watching the fish swim under it for the last year but these days I prefer a more natural look and I feel it's time for a change.

I've never felt that the anubias heterophylla was in the right place, it always looked a bit odd sticking up on its own so that was a high priority for me to make better.  Also the anubias nana was turning into a monster on a mission to take over the tank 
alien.gif
so I've split that up into five plantlets which are being redistributed on some new wood.

There's still more I want to do and hopefully the tank will look more open and natural when it's done.  I can't upload pictures at the moment but will when I can.

Oh and Kirky you were right - the hoses just needed a good clean, the filter is back to normal now! :D

Cheers AquaPit :)

My husband said today, "I see you've stuck some new sticks in the tank.  What happened to the old bit of wood with the hole in it, I really liked it?".... aargh!  He never says anything nice about my tanks, if he likes something why doesn't he tell me BEFORE I take it out?! :lol:

Sometimes, people realize they like things when they don't have it anymore.

Lovely tanks Daize. I had't seen them in a while. Good job
smile.png

daizeUK said:
Cheers AquaPit
smile.png

My husband said today, "I see you've stuck some new sticks in the tank.  What happened to the old bit of wood with the hole in it, I really liked it?".... aargh!  He never says anything nice about my tanks, if he likes something why doesn't he tell me BEFORE I take it out?!
laugh.png

:dunno:  That's the way men are sometimes I think Daize.

snazy said:
Lovely tanks Daize. I had't seen them in a while. Good job
smile.png

Thanks a lot Snazy, good to see you back!

Eagle - I think he deliberately tries not to encourage me because he doesn't want to see any more fish tanks appearing in the house!

The SD reader on my comp is broken hence no pics yet, will post some up as soon as it gets fixed!

Most reactions

Back