Daize's Planted Photo Journal - 64L 1Wpg Low Light

I'm about as happy as I can get with this tank now, I think.

This is the picture I took on Saturday after adding a couple of 'roots' in the foreground and heater temporarily removed. I think it still needs a few more bits of wood for a more natural look.
JANTTOTM_zpsf15ec35e.jpg

The plants have grown really well but I'd like to try to slow it down again now. I'm thinking of cutting back on lighting and perhaps see if I can cut back on the EasyCarbo to match. I'm apprehensive about messing around with what seems to be a working formula but it seems to be at the point where faster growth will only mean more trimming and maintenance.

Plant growth continues unabated. Zero algae.
I'm very excited about my Crypt Balansae which is growing beautifully (at the right of the picture). That Balansae was one of the first plants I bought, I've had it from the start and until now it is has been pathetically struggling for survival. I'd given up on it. FINALLY it is happy and standing tall and proud!

23Jan_zps17a88489.jpg

I've taken more than 20 juveniles out of this tank but there is really no end to them
rolleyes.gif
I'm sure there is still another 40 or 50 fry in there. Cripes. It's impossible to count them all. I'm doing my best to bring the population to more responsible levels.

I am concerned about the possible ill effects on fish health if I continue to double-dose Easycarbo, although I am still within the recommended dosage for this level of planting but I don't know how safe it really is and it worries me.

That's great Daize!  I wish my tank had unabated growth with zero algae. 

The only thing growing truly unabated is the algae. :sad:

Im not sure if this has been said, but if you have teo 15w bulbs, wouldnt it be about 2 watts per gallon?

I've heard that it doesn't work like that if the bulbs are lighting different areas of the tank. There is a small 15W bulb over the left side of the tank and another over the right side of the tank, so overall the tank has 15W in any given place.

In truth I've come to realise that WPG is almost meaningless. PAR is a much truer representation of available light but I don't have a PAR meter and don't plan to get one
smile.png

eaglesaquarium said:
That's great Daize!  I wish my tank had unabated growth with zero algae.
I feel like I'm cheating a bit Eagle - since EasyCarbo is basically an algaecide!

Whatever it takes Daize. 

Congrats on winning January TOTM!! Well deserved!!

Thanks very much Rak!  I'm absolutely delighted!

A close-up of my Crypt beckettii.  I love the colours on brown crypts for the contrast they provide.  I've really noticed the colours deepen on these crypts since the growth really took off, they've gone from a bland browny-green to a deep brown and beautiful red underneath.  I adore crypts!

021.JPG

That's a beautiful plant!!  I have been hesitant to try crypts because they are supposed to be sensitive to Excel.  That said, so is Anacharis and mine seems to be thriving despite the Excel.  Daize I know you use EasyCarbo...is it known to cause crypts to melt like Excel?

I've never heard of crypts being sensitive to liquid carbon. Mine responded very positively to increased doses of EasyCarbo but it is true that crypts are sensitive to change, especially being uprooted. They can take a long time to get established - these crypts have been growing in situ for over 7 months now and it took a LONG time for them to switch from green emersed form to brown immersed foliage. It was worth the wait though!

I'm trying to grow C. undulatus brown in my 120L tank with less success - four months later and they are still struggling to get established. Not a plant for the impatient!

Hmmm, I could have sworn I read that they were sensitive to Excel but I could be wrong.  Maybe I'm confusing it with Vals!  I have read so much in the past couple of months that it is hard to keep things straight sometimes! 
laugh.png
  I think I may have to give crypts a try. 

Vals can be sensitive to liquid carbon.  However, I am currently having success with my vals (after an adjustment period and melt) with liquid carbon.  The key was a week with 1/3 dose for the tank.  A second week with a 2/3 dose.  And then a full dose after that. 

108m_zps44f856a6.jpg

This tank should probably serve as a warning to anyone else who thinks breeding platies will be fun... they have LOTS and LOTS of babies! :lol:  and this is after I've taken a batch of the eldest teenagers to the LFS!

I spotted this little fellow in my tank amongst all the other youngsters and he really caught my eye.  His colouring is obviously a sunset-wagtail hybrid which means that his parents are most likely Copper and Cutie, both of whom were home-bred fish born and raised in my tanks themselves.  I promised myself I wouldn't keep any more wagtails but I don't think I can resist this little guy - I just love his/her colours!

156_zpsf1f739a0.jpg

This is Copper, his mother.  She was born in my tank exactly a year ago today, the first fry ever born in my tank and she's never known any other home.  She's the daughter of Poppy who I'd only owned for four days when she gave birth - I was so surprised!  Happy birthday Copper!

Copperm_zpse6af5aca.jpg

The tank as seen from my seat at the kitchen dining table!

128_zpsdab7d5c4.jpg

Most reactions

Back