Cyprichromis

Morri

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am still deciding on my final setup I have now sorted my sump and everything else etc. (Will start a Journal once I can take proper photos)

I really like the idea of a tropheous tank but they all seem a little sterile for a display tank (In my living room so want something nice to look at)

I was toying with the idea of Cyprichromis and having a Tang community has anyone ever kept these and hoe difficult are they to keep

How many would I be looking at in 100 Gallon tank and what else would go in the tank with them?

Many Thanks

I'm presuming you mean the leptosoma?

I have 11 cyps in my 105 USG along with ventralis (feather fins), punks, dickfeldi (which was bought as a marlieri), lucipinnis and bristle nose plecs. Cyps are at their best when a larger number are kept together. Even though I have 12 of them I would still say I could probably get away with 2 or 3 more so 12-15 would be fine in a big tank.
Do bear in mind that IF you get young ones they can take a while to colour up so you may end up thinking they're quite bland and boring in colour until they do. Try if you can to get a majority number of females :good:

Thanks Elisew that was the numbers I was thinking about 12 - 15 is there any good UK suppliers ?

I was looking at Calvus,Synodontis Lucipinnis

Is there a rough guide to stocking levels ?

btw mine is 100 Gallons UK ;)

I have 12 leptosoma (Mpulungu) in a foor footer (190ltr) with 7 Xeno Bathyphilus sandsifters and 4 Altolamprologus compressiceps (sumbu shell) , it's a good mix and the Cyps certainly bring out the confidence in the other tank mates :good:
As a side note I wouldn't rule out the Tropheus , 100 gallon is a good size tank for them , there are quite a few varieties, take kasanga red rainbow for instance :drool: , you can also mix with some tanganyikan gobies and some of the "tougher" tangs :good:

red_rainbow.gif

red_rainbow_kasanga-1.gif

Be nice to see what you come up with, :good:

Hmmmmmm just spotted these Cyprichromis leptosoma "Yellow Head Tricolor"

Oooh so many to choose from

Is there a good shop/breeder for Tangs? local LFS has the usual selection of mbuna not much else when I asked if they could order was not a great response

Most reactions

Back