Cycling Question: Ammonium Bicarbonate as Ammonia Source for Cycling a Fishless Aquarium. Should I just start over?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Emilue

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Last week I started cycling my tank and due to my country prohibiting pure ammonia from being sold here (Australia), I wasn't sure what to do to get ammonia into my tank. I however, did have access to Ammonium Bicarbonate in powder form, so I decided to try adding some of the salt diluted with water (0.5 ml) to my fishless aquarium to get to around 1-2 ppm. From my basic chemistry knowledge I thought that this form of ammonia may be able to work and solubilize in water to become ammonia, and maybe some alkaline byproduct (which is not a problem for me right now).

It's been a week since then and I've consistently had ammonia levels at 1-2 ppm with absolutely no signs of nitrites or nitrates present. The only time my ammonia levels have seemed to drop was when I messed around with the tank and put some plants and driftwood in, but I don't attribute that to anything other than me messing with it.

I'm a little worried that this form of ammonium is not in a form suitable for these bacteria to consume it properly, and is not becoming ammonia, and that is why my nitrites have not risen at all for a week, nor has my ammonia levels fallen in a week. This doesn't explain why my API test kit is reading ammonia, but maybe there is ammonia in the water, but not in the right form.

I know this is a patient process but it is my first tank and I'm not entirely sure how long this stuff takes normally. This is just normal for ammonia levels not to drop in a week but I'm worried I'm going to be waiting weeks just for me to find out that this ammonia source was a waste of time in the first place. I'm not sure if this is normal waiting for nitrites to rise, or if there is something going on with the ammonium bicarbonate. I'm not sure if I should simply start over and try and find a different ammonia source (fish food was taking way too long + messy), which I really will be sad to do.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No idea if that type of ammonia works for cycling tanks but it usually takes 4-6 weeks (sometimes longer) for a filter to develop the beneficial bacteria needed to get ammonia and nitrite levels to 0ppm.

It takes around 2-3 weeks for the first lot of bacteria to develop and convert the ammonia into nitrite. Then another 2-3 weeks for the next lot of bacteria to convert nitrite into nitrate.

You can help speed things up by keeping the water warm (28-30C). This helps the bacteria grow faster.
Have lots of aeration so the oxygen level in the water is high.
Keep the pH around 7.0 and the KH above 60ppm.
Have the lid off the tank if possible so more bacteria can land in the water to get things going.

Maybe buy a bottle of liquid filter bacteria from a pet shop or online and add that to the tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

No idea if that type of ammonia works for cycling tanks but it usually takes 4-6 weeks (sometimes longer) for a filter to develop the beneficial bacteria needed to get ammonia and nitrite levels to 0ppm.

It takes around 2-3 weeks for the first lot of bacteria to develop and convert the ammonia into nitrite. Then another 2-3 weeks for the next lot of bacteria to convert nitrite into nitrate.

You can help speed things up by keeping the water warm (28-30C). This helps the bacteria grow faster.
Have lots of aeration so the oxygen level in the water is high.
Keep the pH around 7.0 and the KH above 60ppm.
Have the lid off the tank if possible so more bacteria can land in the water to get things going.

Maybe buy a bottle of liquid filter bacteria from a pet shop or online and add that to the tank.
Thank you for the response!

It's relieving to hear that there may be nothing wrong with the cycle and it's just a waiting game!

I'm probably just starting to overthink the ammonia situation now that it's been in there for a week. I'll give it more time!

Last week I started cycling my tank and due to my country prohibiting pure ammonia from being sold here (Australia), I wasn't sure what to do to get ammonia into my tank.
By pure do you mean without adulterants (e.g. perfumes/detergents), or high molar concentration aqueous ammonia? You don't want either one of those.

By pure do you mean without adulterants (e.g. perfumes/detergents), or high molar concentration aqueous ammonia? You don't want either one of those.
LOL, I assume this is a typo or auto correct, but what's an adulterant?
It sounds kinda naughty :)

Yeah by pure I mean without scents/detergents and not in a salt form like ammonium chloride. I know lots of people use ammonium chloride as their ammonia source, and this does result in a lessening of pH due to the dissociation of chloride and ammonia in the water. I thought similar with the ammonium bicarbonate, and that as a salt it would dissociate into ammonia and bicarbonate, which would raise the pH slightly (not a problem, my water is quite acidic). I thought that this would be the only difference between using ammonium chloride like a lot of fishkeepers recommend, and ammonium bicarbonate, which I do not see much information regarding online. I could be wrong on the chemistry of it however, and this may be a completely unviable ammonia option.

I just realized that what I meant was that you want neither adulterants, nor high molar ammonia.

Odd that you cannot get NH3 in water at low concentrations.

Ammonium is ammonium whether it's part of ammonium chloride, ammonium bicarbonate or ammonium hydroxide (this is what we usually call ammonia solution).
All that's wrong is, as Colin said, you haven't waited long enough yet. Last time I did a fishless cycle it took 3 weeks for ammonia to drop and nitrite appear, and 6 weeks to complete.

Most reactions

Back