Cycling+Ammonia Questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alexvpaq

Reaction score
I've been fishless cycling since may 11th. 
At the moment, my fishtank has a nice yellowish/brown tint (likely caused by the branch I have in it) there are some algae forming and I have yet to see the nitrite(NO2) spike since they hover around 0.1 and 0.3mg/L and it's been like that for about a week.

My Nitrates are also slowly going up, now at about 10-20mg/L for 2-3 days

But where I'm confused is my Ammonia. 
I used some ''Old country ammonia'' (Only thing I found here in Canada), at first I read over the internet that it was around 4%, so I rounded up to 5$ and made the maths with this site calculator. But I quickly realized it must have been more than 5% since I have yet to see the ammonia drop. I bet it's at least 10% ammonia since the tester is still showing me a bright orange color that seems to be inbetween 5ppm and 7.5ppm (top of my chart)
(tested the PH 2 or 3 days ago and it was around 8. 

So here are the questions : 
-Should I be concerned about the ammonia not dropping? 
-Should I consider it as if I went for the ''add daily'' method instead of the add and wait one?
-Should I just do a radical water change to get the ammonia and other stuff down and start back with a normal dosage of ammonia? also, wouldn't that slow the whole process or kill the bacterias?

oh, I use a ''nutrafin'' test kid, which is the stuff we have here. I can't vouch for it's accuracy since it's the only thing I have and I can't compare.

No, you don't need to e concerned about the ammonia not dropping; two weeks isn't very long.

The add daily method is not much used now (times change so quickly!), so stick with the add and wait.

Your ammonia is too high though (Nutrafin tests as as reliable as any in the hobby), so at least a 50% water change is needed to bring that down to nearer 2 or 3ppm. It won't slow the process down, or kill off any bacteria you might already have growing, as long as your new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated :good:

Agreed.  A 50%-75% water change should put the ammonia right where it needs to be. 
good.gif

Just did the 50% water change. The water is so much cleaner! At least it looks good to look at now. I'll wait an hour or two to let the water settle down and I'll check the water parameters again and update if needed! Thanks for the help!

Edit 1h later : Ammonia reads around 2.4 and 5ppm, closer to 2.4 than 5ppm. Wooo! 

hi alex...i started a thread on fishless cycle and got alot of help...I've just read your post about the ph level. what's that about? i thought it was just ammonia-nitrite and nitrate...im am currently doing my cycle (first time ever) been delayed though...my masterkit is taking to long to come so im just doing alot of research. it would help if you could share some of your experience with me ,as your currently at the same stage as me ...minus the testing kit.
thanks.

I read that if your pH goes down in the 6s or lower ( more acid) it slows the process down/stops it.  So if it goes down too much I guess you have to do a water change to get it back up around 7-8. 

That's true.  6.0 is usually where the cycle completely stalls.  You can avoid this by adding a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or calcium carbonate to increase the buffering capacity of the water (and raise the pH).  This also provides the carbon the bacteria need as well.

As one moves toward under 7.0 the process has begone to slow and by 6.5 it can be very slow and by 6 it seems to stop. However, nitrification takes place as low as right around 4.0 +/-. Getting a tank to be cycled at that level would take the better part of 6-7 months or so.

The bacteria need a few things to work well- ammonia or nitrate, oxygen, inorganic carbon, a bit of iron and minimal light. They also do better not too hot and not too cold. 75-85 F (24 - 29.5 C) is a great range.

Little update so far. To this date, ammonia is still stuck at around 2.5 ppm and nitrite/nitrate haven't really moved either. Actually, they have moved even less.

However I did a few things, after I was advised by some member to actually move from my marina media (this type of cartridge http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marina-Slim-Filter-Cartridge-Carbon/dp/B0032GED02, I had both type in there, zeolite and carbon) to a sponge one I wonder if I didn't actually relaunched the fishless cycling from almost the beginning. ( I swished and dropped the old media around and in the fishtank so they would help spread life hopefully) 

But yes, I'm a month into it and I have yet to see a spike in Nitrite and a drop in ammonia. But there are hints of nitrates.  Also I'm really considering doing another 50% water change since the silly water is still yellowish and I'm pretty sure it's  messing with me reading the ammonia ( My test is based on a scale of yellow) 

"yellow water"?  Do you have any wood in the tank?

That's where the yellow is coming from then... the tannins released by the wood are darkening the water.  Changing the water will lighten it for a time, but only temporarily until the wood releases more tannins.

I'd suggest just pulling the wood out until your cycle is completed, and it will make the readings easier.  You can put it back in at the end - and the tannins are beneficial, not harmful to the fish. ;)  Better for them to leach out when the fish are there, than now.  Eventually the rate of the leaching will be imperceptible and the water won't have that same coloring.  Personally, I'm a fan of it, but not everyone is.

Yeah, I kind of like it too. It gives some character to the tank. 

Certainly, and it helps many fish feel more comfortable in the tank, especially those fish whose natural habitat is full of organics like that.  South American fish, generally love it.  It also helps their colors, I believe.

However, I want to get a crayfish (Procambarus Clarkii) in that tank. I have no plans for a fish yet. Going through this whole fishless cycling to add a live prey to my future crayfish would be ironic and moronic on my part lol. I will likely consider it eventually but not at the moment, I'll have to find a fish that will have no trouble living with it.  Also, I do not have a heater yet since my water temperature hovers around 70-75F by itself in my bedroom which is fine for a crayfish.

Most reactions

Back