Custom Hoods

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah there's 4 switches, each controls 2 tubes. However they are marine tubes, 14000K, so they'd need replacing. 8 tubes won't be cheap...

Your not wrong there george. Why on earth would you need that amount of light?! I would go for 4 x 39 watt T5s

If there's 4 power leads, you could have the tubes on different timers. Have 4 lights on all day, 2 more lights come on later for 2-3 hours, and the other two have as a blue night light.

What a pain in the buttocks. Wehnt B&Q and they only had the warm bulbs with a K value of about 2500. Its a depot as well so expected a little more choice. Homebase was just useless.

Everywhere on the net wants to chate 7 quid delivery which mputs the price right up to almost the specific plant grow bulb prices

Whats an acceptable colour rendition? I can find ones with 80% but thats it.

As were talking cheap lights, to get cheap tubes, try talking to your local electrical wholesaler, usually on an industrial estate.

The likes of Edmundsons, Newey&Eyre, CEF, Lockwells, and loads of independant will sell to the public, and as long as you've reasearched what tube you want (philips, osram, GEC with the correct colour etc) they'll order it in.

Replacement tubes for £4 (osram T5 39W 6500k)

Ok crap, I knew I should never have let that seller out the bag, now Im gonna be fighting every one on TFF to get stuff! Doh!

As for turning the light tubes off separately, you have to it manually as each two has a separate switch on the lunimaire, but is only has one plug so its on or off for the unit, so only one timer, the only down point of the unit.

Sam

Morning Everyone,

First of all, my apologies if this should be a new thread, but it ties in with Themuleos's T5 find.

What would be the difference between using 3 x 54W T5 (EQJ Trading) or 4 x 38W T5. I've got a 48x12x18 (approx 37 UK gals). Does the higher wattage mean more intensity and thus mean more success with red coloured plants, I seem to be going a long way about asking this :-( The lighting is roughly the same watts 162 versus 152, but the 4 tube version is wider than the 3 and the cardinal thing is also about 60 quid :)

-I appreciate (nearly ï￾Š) that the increased lighting would have a knock on effect on fertilization and CO2. I currently use DIY hagan and 3 x 38W T8 and dose weekly with Kent Freshwater, although not astounding I'm pleased that the plants are growing. Seeing your beautiful plants and set ups are making me consider upgrading the lights as would love to carpet the substrate with riccia or glosso and really like the red plants.

Been following the various threads planted tanks and seem to be understanding the basics (touch wood),

Incidently thanks to all for the insight and inspiration spend hours checking all the different tank

Cheers

One immediate difference I think would be the length of the tubes, as the 54w is 46" long, the 38w (think you mean 39w?) is only 34" long, so from that view point, Id get the 54w to even out the lighting over the whole length of the tank. Providing of course the units are the same overall length.

BTW 150ish watts over a 37G tank is a hell of a lot of light, think you'll need to upgrade to pressurized CO2 to get enough in there to stop the algae and give the plants enough to use the additional light. One hagen yeast kit isn't going to give you enough by a long long way.

Sam

One immediate difference I think would be the length of the tubes, as the 54w is 46" long, the 38w (think you mean 39w?) is only 34" long, so from that view point, Id get the 54w to even out the lighting over the whole length of the tank. Providing of course the units are the same overall length.

BTW 150ish watts over a 37G tank is a hell of a lot of light, think you'll need to upgrade to pressurized CO2 to get enough in there to stop the algae and give the plants enough to use the additional light. One hagen yeast kit isn't going to give you enough by a long long way.

Sam

Thanks for the speedy reply Sam, I had wondered about the CO2 and have been looking at JBL (I think) systems at aqua essentials, do you think a couple DIY 2 litre juice bottle reactors and the another diffuser might be sufficient in the meantime? I'm anticipating I'd have to drop the light period from the 12 hours i currently do to also compensate?

Not the most confident about solenoids etc but give me time :D I know the lighting is over kill, but am hoping to upgrade to a bigger tank (48x24x24) in the not too distant so thought I could transfer the lights

Paul

No, think for that size tank you'd need 3 or 4 yeast kits, so might as well get pressured as you'll soon get bored of changing the yeast mix every other day! The JBL kit is good, but the reg is a bit tricky, ok on bigger tanks were you dont need such fine adjustments, but crap on small and nano tanks. One bonus is that most shops refill JBL cylinders, which is one of the tricky things with pressurized CO2.

Where abouts do you live?

I got the 3x24w unit as I'll probably 'go marine' at some stage so the extra lighting will help for that, you dont have to have all the lighting on as there are independent switches for the bulls, so can have 1, 2 or 3 tubes on. And yes with that much lighting you'll probably only need 8 to 10hrs lighting.

Have you read the pinned EI article?

Sam

I had skimmed through it before thinking about upgrading the lights but you're right (sorry for asking about pinned stuff) think i need to think more of the overall impact of the lights.

Do you think 3 54W T5 is going to be overkill on a 48x24x24 too? As a matter of interest what would you consider the best T5 set up for a 48Lx12Wx18H?

Just had a quick glance the sticky which also drew my attention to George Farmer's Nutrafin mix - result :) Mines was similar but with much less yeast (1/4 teaspoon) which took ages to get started but always seems to have some bubbles in the diffuser so assumed that was how it worked!! I also add bicarb due to the water being soft here. Oh I'm in Edinburgh by the way- updated my profile

To be fair have been kind of guessing stuff life fertilization etc and to get the results many you are getting I'll have to put a wee bit more effort in. Sometimes find myself reading then re-reading stuff over and and over before it sticks, chemistry wasn't really my forte at school.

Sorry if this is all over the place, sort of like my heid :lol:

Paul

Most reactions

Back