Culling Guppies?

rob158

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that culling is to get rid of the stock you dont want or need,I have read that culling can be done in two ways selling them to pet shops or killing for the likes of deformed ones etc,
so I am wondering what method is used to kill them,

Please don't kill them. If you leave the in there for long enough, the parents and friends will eat the babies.

;)

The least cruel way to kill fish is with clove oil, but there really should not be any need to kill any which are not deformed in a way which will make their life painful.

Thank you for your commments, I do not have any baby guppies but plan on breeding them and would like to know how to deal with deformed ones,
I would also like to point out that I do not plan to kill any healthy fish for what I think are silly reasons like it doesn't have the color I was wanting from it or for any other reason,

Aha, ok, then I will mention that if you do have any deformed ones, you should cross the strain out with an unrelated individual to add some new genes. This should not be a problem if you start with healthy stock.

Most of us also have predator fish that need feeding. The rare deformed fish could be considered a treat by those fish.

Were the fish born deformed or did they become deformed over time? I ask because Fish TB can cause fish to become deformed over time as the disease attacks the muscle tissues of the fish causing them to looked warped or malnourished etc. Deformed fish with Fish TB should always be put down as there aren't really any cures for Fish TB (no brand name meds that treat it commonly available in LFS & the only meds that do treat it only do so in the early stages of the disease). Fish can live with Fish TB for a very long time but it always takes their lives eventually (and unfortunately it is becomming an increasingly common disease in petshop fish, particularly with guppys).

what exactly is the problem with deformed fish? why not just keep them?

The problem we have in this instance is with livebearers, which as we all know, are one of the quickest and most productively bred fish.
Breeding from a deformed fish could have unknown consequences, we don't know if the young will be deformed themselves, have other health issues or be perfectly fine.

There's no way of knowing, so most of us try to steer clear, rather than purposely breeding possibly unhealthy fish.

Honestly, I just adopt out my deformed fish. I just adopted 3 out females which I thought I wouldn't be able to sell but they now live happily in a 30 gallon.

what exactly is the problem with deformed fish? why not just keep them?
Sometimes, it can be so bad that the fish is obviously suffering all the time. Also these fish very often require very different care to the average fish and sometimes can not be kept with healthy fish as the healthy fish can be too vigorous for the deformed fish and can out compete the deformed fish for food.

Most reactions

Back