Creek Rock

tireroaster

Reaction score
I have a creek that runs right by my house and i live in the middle of nowere so there is nothing that runs off into it like a garbage place or paint factory etc. but my question is can i go down there and grab some and put them right into my fish tank or do i need to clean them or boil them or whatever i need to do. so if i could get some info i would apprciate it.

I would still scrub them in hot water as aquarium fish do not normally experience the same diseases as wild fish. Therefore you need to make sure that these rocks are clean and not packing.

ok thanks for the info. i would go buy some but there are so many rocks down there and some are perfectly flat and would be great for my fish tank and look awesome.

Just wash them, they will be fine. Or you could just put them in, catch fish (if any in there) from the stream and house them.

I have the same scenario. Freshwater creek flowing down from a mountain spring.
I found a nice piece of semi petrified wood and some great stones in the creek.
Boiling water over it all numerous times and scrubbed it with a new, no chemicals used, laundry brush. The wood has come up great (pic in http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/389641-real-freshwater/ ) and is waiting for java moss to be attached to it.
The tank has shown no ill effects from the wood and rock.

Most reactions

Back