Crazy Pygmeaus

BigC

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
I have a densely planted aquarium, co2, the works. I needed some inhabitants for the substrate. I chose Corydoras pygmeaus (6). Now the tank readings indicate that everything is in tip top condition as far as the water readings are concerned. The problem is this, they just won't adhere to the substrate and prefer to swim in the gentle current of the filter outlet. They are behaveing more like cardinal tetras in their deportment habits. Is this normal. The fish themselves are in good health. But they just will not go to the gravel except when the lights go out. Has anyone experienced similar antics with this species.
Regards
BigC

If the gravel is sharp, then they may not like it as it will break and damage thier barbels. If you have sand or really smooth pebbles then they would be fine with it, maybe they are just settling in and have that personality, and like to swim about alot. My albino corydoras like to go up and down the glass lots.

C.pygmaeus are a mid level cory and not a bottom dweller
for bottom dwelling small cories I'd have gone with Corydoras habrosus or corydoras panda ;)

C.pygmaeus are a mid level cory and not a bottom dweller
Are you sure. I must check that one out.
My original plan was to get hold of Habrosus as I've kept them before.

If the gravel is sharp, then they may not like it as it will break and damage thier barbels
The gravel is a very very fine grain and this is not an issue.

I have also read several other places that C. Pygmeaus are mid-water swimming cories. I wish I could find some locally, but it looks like I will have to order them online.

The reason I posed the question in the first instance was that I kept a small shoal (14) in a Epiplatys breeding setup with no artificial lighting, only natural daylight via a distant window. The corys never moved from the bottom of the tank. Then I decided to move them into my planted aquaria and envisaged the same trait only to find, as so many of you have pointed out, they adopted the free swimming deportment. I wonder if its to do with the intense aquarium lighting I have installed.
Many thanks for the answers guys.
Regards
BigC

The reason I posed the question in the first instance was that I kept a small shoal (14) in a Epiplatys breeding setup with no artificial lighting, only natural daylight via a distant window. The corys never moved from the bottom of the tank. Then I decided to move them into my planted aquaria and envisaged the same trait only to find, as so many of you have pointed out, they adopted the free swimming deportment. I wonder if its to do with the intense aquarium lighting I have installed.
Many thanks for the answers guys.
Regards
BigC

our pigmys are 'free swimmers' if they feel like it they schoal with the other fish - 4 pygmys and 5 rummynoses looked quite cool :)

other times they will sit in amongst the plants and bogwood... they do chill on the bottom too though.

Hi BigC :)

While mine sometimes sit on the bottom, they spend most of their time swimming a few inches above it. It's not unusual to see the whole school of them hovering in one spot for a long time. :D

While mine sometimes sit on the bottom, they spend most of their time swimming a few inches above it. It's not unusual to see the whole school of them hovering in one spot for a long time.

That's exactly what mine are doing...
Thanks again Guys.
Regards
BigC

Mine only go to the bottom to feed or occassionally sleep, though they prefer to do that on leaves higher up the tank.

They sometimes take food from the surface and shoal alongside the neons the majority of the time. Seem to be having a high old time, so I've never worried about them!
:p

Most reactions

Back