Crappy Economy - Are You Spending Less Money On Your Fish?

How much money are you spending on your fish?

• more money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • about the same of money

• less money

• way less less money!

• Total voters

Gazoo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about all of you, my fellow Fish Forums friends, but I've been budget conscious about my fish-keeping hobby lately. I would never compromise the health of my fish but at the same time I haven't considered any new major purchases. How are things in your part of the world?

I'm a Realtor and with the current real estate market, I'm spending absolutely nothing unless I have to. My tanks are very understocked right now but I just can't justify buying fish. Hopefully, things will turn around soon and we can all get back to normal. Unfortunately, I think it will be at least next year before the economy really starts to move in the right direction.

I'm spending less, but its more because my tanks are full. And I'm a collage student, so I was more or less broke to being with. I did spend a lot right before I started collage. I upgraded my 55gal, because I was expecting to be broke either way :rolleyes: . Now I sell my endler fry to my LFS for money to pay for food and things. I've just started selling the aquarium plants I grow so I can cover CO2 and fertilizer costs. I am more or less able to break even on upkeep costs.

That said I will definitely be out of a job in a few weeks once the ski lodge I work at closes for the season. My summer job is at a drive in movie theater, I wasn't planing on going back this year, but considering the job market I will probably have to. Though I hate working till 2am, I hate not having a job more....

More-- 12 years old, small jobs. Not really common. ):
i'll get a job at mcd's one day. 8-|

Bloodworms is 24cubes per 5 dollars. Cheap to me ;) but how much I spend on fish a year? more than video games. :)

i think im only spending less cause im getting settled in, finding that i dont need little things additions, its just food and meds now pretty much, which reminds me...lol need more food

I'm spending more which if my wife found out I'd be dead!!

saying that I'm better off at the moment as my mortgage is so low due to the huge drops in interest rates!! :good:

not spending less our tanks give us so much enjoyment that id rathr stay in occasionally instead + nothing but the best for our mob although i do flinch at the price of frozen fish food when i stock up !!

I've been spending less, but it's not because of the economy. I don't have much room in my tanks these days, and that's a big part of it. It's also been wintertime which means buying fish online and having them shipped is more of a risk than it will be in better weather.

I've been a better shopper about it,but i don't think i've slowed down.I used to go thro my lfs no matter what,but nowadays i don't feel bad about looking elsewhere to make sure i get the absolute best price.Reminds me I need to replace my light bulbs,$45 each Uggggg.

About the same.

I'm very lucky. Got a new job with quite a bit more salary weeks before the recession started to show its head and had a 5% pay rise in October which the Unions had negotiated 2 years before i started.

Things are cheaper than ever (well gadgets, fish equipment and the other stuff I like) :)

Like Inchworm, I find my tanks are as full as I want them to get right now. The amount that I spend is always small because I am frugal at all times.

The trend of spending in my shop seems to be hit with every national news "WE ARE IN A RECESSION" broadcast. This lasts about 4-5 days and then people come spending again. People are still spending around the same if not more on aquatics. Some people are becoming very careful where they shop at the moment rather than how much they spend. We've taken a large chunk of trade from a couple of larger chain stores recently. The customer will spend their money where they feel comfortable. We are very lucky, our shop opened not owing a single penny to loans, overdrafts etc... so we are able to ride through the harder times with a little more ease than most. But who knows what the future holds for anyone. I feel for anyone who has lost their businesses due to all thats going on.
But really I dont think its how much people are spending, like said, they are shopping where they know they will get treated with a bit of respect rather than the places that do not care at all so more willing to part with their hard earn wages.

A little bit more because ive bought new filters heaters and plant substrate.

Most reactions

Back