Crabs in a brackish aquarium.

there are also rainbow crabs which will grow quite a bit bigger, more like the size of your average edible crab!!

all crabs will try to make dinner our of any fish in the tank after a while, it's just a risk you have to take if you want crabs in with fish.

Fish00 said:
To my main question what ones are puffer friendly.
None of them.

All puffers will make short work of any crab. We gave Martha, our Nile Puffer a red crab yesterday. She had bitten it in half before it had reached the bottom of the tank. Within three minutes, she had eaten every scrap, even the claws.

We also gave a crab to our baby target puffer Titch.
Titch is only an inch and a half long, and the crab was an inch across.
Titch first killed it by biting its face off then leisurely ate the rest of its still twitching corpse.

Even dwarf puffers will attack crabs many times their own size.

It was certainly quite unsettling to see Martha bite straight through the crab's carapace with no effort whatsoever.

Puffers have got a seriously powerful bite.

Thats why people laugh at me when I suddenly whip my hands out if my puffers become interested...and then they see them eat! Tee hee hee!

paul_v_biker said:
you should make a video of that SirMinion!!

would be very interesting...
We had the camera ready, but weren't ready for how fast it would be so we missed it.

We'll try again next time.

the red calws are awsome but you have to make shure nothing is going form the top to the bottom of the tank as they will escape! there like little ninjas if theres a way out they will find it http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=62409 thers a pic of one of my redclaws... also notice where i hd to put my airstones ant filter tube.....

i have heard alot about figure eight puffers being kept in with red claw crabs......

but i wud never keep crabs and puffers together, if a crab ate a puffer he wud die, so there's no gud in risking it

Most reactions

Back