Could Someone Post Me Some Media?

Thanks - I really appreciate this!

Amy - I am just outside Bristol, so that works really well! I'll send you a PM.

Toc - cheers! Should I take media from both of you - will that be quicker?

If I add mature media, does that mean I can put fish in immediately or should I continue the cycle diary?

Definitely continue your cycle, you want to make sure the bacteria colonies have settled and are working properly. Plus you need to still build them up to the level you need.

However it does mean your cycle is likely to finish in around a week max. :good:

Did I hear early xmas present of fishies! :lol: :lol:

Does anyone know how the media donation thing works?
Just wondering as I'm going to be a foam pad short of a full filter...

Never done it before

Does anyone know how the media donation thing works?
Just wondering as I'm going to be a foam pad short of a full filter...

Never done it before

You dont need or want to donate the whole foam, just a third, that way your colony will remain established & the third is plenty to seed a new filter. Just chop a third off yours with scissors, then cut a third off a new sponge & stick it in there.

You can also just donate filter gunk. If you put a bit of water into a bag, put the sponge in the bag and clean it in there like you would if you were just cleaning your filter. Then replace the sponge and repeat with any other media. All the dirt/gunk will hold a decent amount of bacteria.

you'll only need 1 good does of bacteria really to get you started, If amyw2008 can get to "Quedgeley" be on your door step at Cheltenham

you'll only need a piece of pad not an entire 1, cut/tear a bit off depending what the material is, and replace it with a new bit, a 1 inch cube is good enough just depends on the ratio of your filter material and other tank decor harboring bacteria to bio load of the tank.( and do it wet dont pull it out the tank put it in a jar or sealed bag with tank water just to keep it submerged, another theory is to keep it in the dark) I want to perform some tests to get some evidence but i'm still waiting on new filters in the christmas post.

its just a kick start, think of it as if you had a piece of material holding a couple of thousand/million bacteria doubling in 12-24 hours! its a great boost,

If the bacteria doubled every 24hrs
starting with 1 could build to
1 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 = 128 bacteria in a week

starting with 20000 could build to
20000 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 *2 = 2.5 million bacteria in a week

and imagine what difference another day would make! another 128 or another 2.5 million!

anyway it also seems to be a good way to accelerate the Nitrobacter as you'll be introducing this bacteria too and soon as nitrite is available it can start to be used up instead of growing 1 bacteria then waiting for Nitrobacter to start its cycle to build up in numbers.

hope all goes well.
Rich

Rich

Thanks for the info - very interesting! I sent Amy a mail yesterday, but have not heard back. Since she is only in Quedgeley today, it's looking doubtful that I'm going to be able to meet her after all!

So can I take you up on your offer? I tried to e-mail you through your profile, but you've not given permission for other members to e-mail you so the button doesn't work - perhaps you could email me?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I will be home tomorrow tea time or in Quedgeley later today (not sure what time yet as I have to wait for my delivery first)
My number is ....... if you want to text me then I can ring you when I'm on my way up towards glos

Amy - thanks! That might work - but I am on school run duty today so if it's going to be around that time, it might not happen. Argh :)

BusyMum: I'm in Lydney

Hi, delivery hasn't arrived yet so havnt been up to Quedgeley yet. Will let you know when I am

I'm getting a bit desperate now - was really hoping to have the tank cycled for my son before Xmas.

I will gladly Paypal anyone kind enough to post me some media enough to cover your costs and a couple of beers on top! Email address is in my profile. Please?

Thanks
Paul

I thought you'd already been sorted with mature media by now... hmm. I'll PM you, I've got 3 tanks, pretty sure we can sort something out. :)

Most reactions

Back