Corys

There is a little more to it than just adding cold water.

First of all you need to be sure that you have good adult stock, i.e. adult males and females. ideally 2 males per female. Then they need to be conditioned to bring them into breeding condition. Good food and regular clean water changes. Once in condition a normal water change can trigger a spawning session, but once you have then in top condition a 30 - 40% cool water change may get the going, using water that is around 4º or 5ºC cooler to replace the removed water.

Ian

There is a little more to it than just adding cold water.

First of all you need to be sure that you have good adult stock, i.e. adult males and females. ideally 2 males per female. Then they need to be conditioned to bring them into breeding condition. Good food and regular clean water changes. Once in condition a normal water change can trigger a spawning session, but once you have then in top condition a 30 - 40% cool water change may get the going, using water that is around 4º or 5ºC cooler to replace the removed water.

Ian

hi Ian thxs for reply i have 2 bronze male corys about 2inch long with 1 plump female about the same size but really fat and stocky iv got them in a 24inchx12inchx18inch tank with fine graval some amozon sword plants and a peice of bog wood .been takeing out uneatend foods every morning iv been doing 30%water change every 3 days
i read up on conditioning and have been giveing them allot more live and frozen foods, brine shrimp,daphnia,bloodworm, plus there pellits for the last 4 days
is there any thing else i can give them apart from pellits and live and frozen foods to get them in the best shape

dave

I was told that you should have 2 female to one male
that cory's breed in trios
my peppered breed with 2 females to 1 male
they have breed three times

Bozza is correct. It is all about getting those eggs fertilized. 2 females to one male means that is easy for him to miss some eggs if both ladies are laying eggs. As is common, it only takes one lady to get the whole house jiggy.

For many fish it is the male with a harem, but Corys are set off by the lady's hormone release and the boys may juggle for position, but they don't hurt one another in most Cory species. With Cichlids, for instance, the gent has several ladies (each with a cave where she lays the eggs and cares for them and the fry) because he is a pest and will often harass the gals to death. He can service several gals, but Corys are eggs scatterers so the boy has to stay up with her and her eggs as she dashes all over the tank placing them. Two gals running around could lower the percentage of viable eggs as the boy just couldn't stay up. Well, that's how I understand it. Correct me if I am wrong on something.

Most reactions

Back