Cory's Being Eaten Alive!

I would go to the livebearer section and see what they say, livebearers dont do well at all in acidic water they get ill.
Yes it could be that don't find that livebearers are nasty to other types of fish.

It isn't the livebeares that's the problem it the Cory's

Hi nemo8269,

Please try to post some pictures and get a nitrate reading. Perhaps your lfs will do one for you. If so, ask for a ppm reading.

I suspect that the corys have a bacterial infection of some kind and that since they are sick already the others are looking forward to making a meal of them when they die. I strongly suggest setting up a quarantine tank for them and treating them with an antibacterial/anti-fungal medicine.

What kind of substrate do you have and how often do you do water changes and bottom vacuumings? :unsure:

Do not do anything to change the pH of the water where the sick corys are. It's just apt to make them worse.

BTW, having a crab in that tank could be part of the problem too.

Unfortuantely i don't have the facilities for another tank and my lfs dosn't open until Tuesday for any meds. With this in mind woul di be able to treat the whole tank.

The tank has a sand substrate amd I do a 20% water change every month and vacuum the san each time.

AS for the crab it's been in for at least 6 months and has never bothered them whatsoever. The crab does like its own space but there is plenty of hidey holes for it and this has never posed a problem before.

What do the barbels look like on the cory have they gone short and thin.

Ok, that not a bad sign then.

Ok, that not a bad sign then.

They've been absolutly fine, until a couple of days ago that's when i first saw the damage. I'll have to wait untill Tuesday to get any meds. Will keeping the tank lights off reduce any stress, i'm clutching at straws here.

Plus whilst i'm at the LFS i'l ask if they'll take the red eyed tetras as on ein particluar is attacking one of my male guppies

Never rains but pours at times.
Good luck.

Never rains but pours at times.
Good luck.

Dosen't it just. i hate to see my Cory's distressed, they wouldn't hurt a fly. I'd rather give away all my other fish than lose a Cory :sad:

I love my panda corys too, nearly had them two years they live on there own now 3 of them in a 12gal tank, they seem to love it on there own.
Had a cherry barb and he would chase them around the tank, had to move him to another tank.
Love watching them scurry all over the tank, had some gouramis in there for a while, but the corys went very timid so moved the gouramis to another tank.

I love my panda corys too, nearly had them two years they live on there own now 3 of them in a 12gal tank, they seem to love it on there own.
Had a cherry barb and he would chase them around the tank, had to move him to another tank.
Love watching them scurry all over the tank, had some gouramis in there for a while, but the corys went very timid so moved the gouramis to another tank.

I'll check back in on Tuesday once i've added meds to the tank and give you an update. I just wish i could seperate them.

Nothing worse when fish start to fall out, had it with some platys but they only picked on there own kind.
Good luck.

I'm gonna put them in the hatchery in the morning and try and secure it so they can't jump out. Maybe this wil give them some relief. I'l keep the tank lights of too as the hatchery floats.

The tank has a sand substrate amd I do a 20% water change every month and vacuum the san each time.

AS for the crab it's been in for at least 6 months and has never bothered them whatsoever. The crab does like its own space but there is plenty of hidey holes for it and this has never posed a problem before.

Hi nemo8269 :)

Part of your problem might be that you don't do enough water changes. It would be better to do at least that much on a weekly basis, rather than monthly.

Corys get bacterial infections from bacteria that are normally in the tank when they are overly stressed and their immune systems become weakened. This stress often comes from overfeeding, overcrowding, aggressive tankmates, high nitrates, temperature fluctuations, low oxygen content in the water, or insufficient or infrequent water changes. Corys are apt to show the first signs of it because they live on the bottom of the tank where the dirt accumulates, but other fish can get it too.

The first thing to do is remove any possible causes and then treat with a good medicine. If you live in the UK, you might want to try using Waterlife's Myxazin or Interpet's Anti Finrot & Fungus Medicine to treat it, but do a big water change first to reduce the number of harmful bacteria in the tank.

I hope you can save them.

Most reactions

Back